Notices

Redline Oil

Old 07-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Redline Oil

Red Line's products are unique because they contain polyol ester base stocks, the only lubricants which can withstand the tremendous heat of modern jet engines. These synthetics have a natural multigrade property which allows our chemists to avoid bulking up an oil with unnecessary additive packages. ZDDP is 1,400 ppm and they add moly too. My engines run cooler then other oils I have tried.

I have been using Redline High Performance Oil (Not to be confused with the Racing Oil that is detergent free,...as non-detergent oils are a bit more friction free)...

I have to say I am impressed with their oils and like their 2 stroke oil as well.

The flashpoint of 20W-50 is about the same as M-1's V-twin. V-Twin is about a "55"wt oil and Redline is about a "50 wt" oil based on cst's @ 100*C. Cost is about the same. I hear Autozone sells it as well.

They also make a 15W-50.

Anyone have experience with Redline to share?

Fyi..

I have been getting it in case lots form their online site.

I think the one thing I like about it most is that it stays "cleaner looking" on the dipstick vs. many other synthetics I have used.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_m...1&categoryID=1

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 07-17-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using the 15-50 Redline in many of my cars for many years.. Still use it in a Street/DE trackday car with no issues to date.. The motor has about 300k miles, and still does not burn oil. That is not marine engine, but like I said, is a combo street/trackday car that is driven very quickly and at high rpm's..

I also buy it by case, and also use the ATF..

Hope that helps,

R
Old 07-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 311 Likes on 183 Posts

I started using Amsoil in my truck mostly because of the longer oil life - 7,500miles over mobil's 5,000. Then I got to reading that it is supposed to decrease fuel consumption. That stuff really works - I'm getting an extra 30-50 miles on the one tank.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Registered

redline was and remains a very popular racing oil in the forms of racing that i was involved with for 25 years. we tested it every way from sunday both on the dyno back to back against several other types and did longetivity and wear testing in the field. we found it to be an inferior product in all respects. the gearboxes wore out in 1/3 of the time vs normal petroleum based gear oils and the engine wear was also similarly accelerated , in some cases on the small displacement, hi reving motors like the cosworths as much as 50 % ... i.e. to say we would see unacceptable bore wear and ring wear at half the hours/milage as other good oils. their claim to fame was always " more power" but certainly the dyno never said so nor did the performance on the race track.

the single best oil we ever saw in service were the NEO synthetics sold by Baker in california. tolerance to heat was simply unbelieveable and in one case where the driver lost the belt on the dry sump while leading he ran the last two laps w/ zero oil pressure and won with the only damage being that the cam and lifters turned bright blue and there was the most minor bearing scuffing. when we ran the V-6 buicks in the 24 hrs of daytona, i remember taking the motors apart after 24 hours of non stop 8250 rpm racing and finding the bearings still had the pencil marks on them where i had noted the clearences and the rings had zero wear.

problem was the cost was outrageous and the shipping was impossible. the mobile 1 synthetics were cheap by comparison and off the shelf everywhere and were 99% as good. when the redline guys sponsored the drivers with oil and cash, we sold the oil for more cash , used the mobile 1 in the cars and ran the redline stickers as per the contracts.

we never tested or ran the amsoil simply because their hype turned me off so badly that it made me hate them without any good reason... and we were more than happy w/ the mobile 1 products anyway.

its what i run in the boat now...
Old 07-18-2008, 02:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts

I did a dyno test myself once on oil,we built a "factory stock" small block 355" chevy for a circle track car. We took it (the whole car) to baker engineering in Nunica mi for exstensive chassis dyno tuning. Motor had valvoline 40 wt racing oil in it for the majority of our 7 hour test session. We advanced/retarded the cam,turned timing up/down,jetted up/down,carb spacers,air cleaners,stub stacks,you name it. When we got their the car put down around 232 hp and I don't remember the tq,all our test we did HOT (220-230 degrees) because thats how the car ran on the track. After endless pulls and tuning we were making 242 or 244 hp (from what I can remember). We drained the oil out and replaced it with equal weight sentinel synthetic,a low production hardly known oil I have used for years. Its claim to fame is its fully synthetic and has a high content of "indefinately suspended" molybendmium disulfide. We ran car on chassis dyno for 25 minutes or so to work it inand also marked the oil pan,manifold,air cleaner,water neck etc with a grease marker to shoot infrared readings on with our temp gun. Once the temps were as close to identical to previous pulls we made a couple dyno pulls,we picked up 16-18 hp average at peak ( (at the tires) and pretty much a equal amount of torque.The power also increased all the way up and down the power band incrementally. THe dyno operator BEFORE we made the sythetic pulls told us he had seen every kind of common synthetic oil tested on the dyno and it would be a miracle if we even saw 3 hp. After the pulls he couldn't believe it but still told us because he had never heard of the stuff he would never run it in anything )I would think he would want to know more about it if he had never seen a oil make a hp difference). I still sell the stuff to all the local guys running circle track factory stocks,lead sleds and sportsmans. We never used it much in any of the higher classes like limited late models/supers because they are running real fancy low tension rings and it seemed to cause problems with oil control,Smitty
Old 07-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Registered

I started using Brad Penn at the request of my engine builder....seems to be good stuff. Anybody have any comments on this oil???
Old 07-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
redline....we found it to be an inferior product in all respects. the gearboxes wore out in 1/3 of the time vs normal petroleum based gear oils and the engine wear was also similarly accelerated... i.e. to say we would see unacceptable bore wear and ring wear at half the hours/milage as other good oils. their claim to fame was always " more power" but certainly the dyno never said so nor did the performance on the race track.

the single best oil we ever saw in service were the NEO synthetics sold by Baker in california. ...problem was the cost was outrageous and the shipping was impossible. the mobile 1 synthetics were cheap by comparison and off the shelf everywhere and were 99% as good. when the redline guys sponsored the drivers with oil and cash, we sold the oil for more cash , used the mobile 1 in the cars and ran the redline stickers as per the contracts....
Sounds like RedLine is trading wear for less friction in high-stress (pure racing) applications where bearing areas are reduced to absolute minimums. This is a key point in this discussion, as most production-based engines (like boat engines) are designed with a generous margin on bearing area, piston ring widths/tension, etc. Purebred racing engines like Cosworth/Ilmor Indy engines, the racing Buick V6's, Formula One, etc. tend to be built to the very edge, where the oil's film strenghth and lubricity are all-important.

When we started running Mobil One in our CART program in 1990, we traded drums and cases of it to other teams in return for their other sponsors products (beer, mostly). I'm pretty sure that Mobil One was in the crankcase of almost every car in CART, regardless of whether or not it had a "Valvoline", "Shell", or whatever sticker on it. The Mobil guys knew it, and figured that they won almost twice as many races as they could legally claim!

Last edited by C_Spray; 07-18-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Registered

i really like the mobile 1 stuff. when we ran firebirds in imsa the difs had to be stock and would burn up almost routinely . we finally figured out not to use the magic stuff that GM was giving us and just used the mobile 1 and the problem , for all intents , disappeared.

i run the mobile 1 delvac in the boat... accorning to my guy at mobil it was for the most severe duty diesel applications... which for the loads the boat motor sees, sounded about right. my motors are injected and the oil stays beautiful clean. last time i had the valve covers off to look around , everything looked brand new at 275 hours
Old 07-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by 40FlatDeck
I started using Brad Penn at the request of my engine builder....seems to be good stuff. Anybody have any comments on this oil???
Brad Penn makes all the 30wt oil for Briggs and Stratton.

It is a parafillic oil with average ZDDP.

I prefer Castrol GTX or Valv VR-1
Old 07-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Sounds like RedLine is trading wear for less friction in high-stress (pure racing) applications where bearing areas are reduced to absolute minimums. This is a key point in this discussion, as most production-based engines (like boat engines) are designed with a generous margin on bearing area, psiton ring widths/tension, etc. Purebred racing engines like Cosworth/Ilmor Indy engines, the racing Buick V6's, Formula One, etc. tend to be build to the very edge, where the oil's film strenghth and lubricity are all-important.

When we started running Mobil One in our CART program in 1990, we traded drums and cases of it to other teams in return for their other sponsors products (beer, mostly). I'm pretty sure that Mobil One was in the crankcase of almost every car in CART, regardless of whether or not it had a "Valvoline", "Shell", or whatever sticker on it. The Mobil guys knew it, and figured that they won almost twice as many races as they could legally claim!
SO you are referring to their Racing oil and not the HP oil?

Quick Reply: Redline Oil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.