Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
When is external hydraulic steering needed? >

When is external hydraulic steering needed?

Notices

When is external hydraulic steering needed?

Old 03-01-2002, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When is external hydraulic steering needed?

At what point is it deemed necessary to have external hydraulic steering? Is there a rule of thumb that when exceeding a certain Horse Power limit, it should be installed. I've typically seen every 500 on up with external steering. Engines under this size, some do, some don't.

With twin 496 HO's on a 35' sport boat, would it be necessary?
Old 03-01-2002, 02:14 PM
Registered

i wouldn't worry about it unless you start chine walking at higher speeds. i've heard that you can take care of that situation better with the external setup... as well as the obvious control and durability
Old 03-01-2002, 02:16 PM
Registered

I would agree and that the need for extrenal steering starts at about 75-80 mph.
Old 03-01-2002, 04:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I think it a good idea on any sportboat it you can afford it. I think you are right on the edge of where you should have external steering. Once you have it you won't want a boat without it. If you put it on now you will be ready when you turn up the power on those 496's.

mike
Old 03-01-2002, 04:24 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 987 Likes on 500 Posts
Arrow

I think its sometimes more of a money issue. Granted its nice to have at higher speeds but its also a nice safty factor even at slower speeds. On twins if the engine with the power steering pump dies you get a rapid turn from the opposing engine still running. And at running speed you can take your hands off the wheel and the boat will track straight! Try that with a regular power steering setup!!! If you can afford it and are planning on keeping the boat for a while i would do it! Just my .02

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-01-2002, 04:55 PM
29Fever

It's not even debatable! Get it! Go up to any big block powered boat without it and shake the gimble back and forth. Se how much play has developed in it from banging to and fro. It's safer, easier to operate (especially at high speeds) and doesn't pull like regular power steering. If you're looking for a speed or HP measurement, I would say anything over 60 MPH or 400 HP. My .02.

Old 03-01-2002, 05:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Truth is once you get it you will say "why the heXX didn't I get the full hyd. system long ago. Almost any boat WILL benefit from this. The external steering really becomes more of a benefit as the hours accumulate because it does not gain slack after hours of hard use. If you are trying to save a few bucks than the stock steering will be ok for about two years then upgrade to the full hyd system. On some hulls it actually will add some speed because the overall handling is better too. the IRONMAN
Old 03-01-2002, 08:07 PM
Registered

get it if you can, if you plain on getting that boat out of the water
hyd. steering is almost a must
Old 03-03-2002, 05:12 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

I'd like to offer that it's not a question of the external steering per se, but where do you get the twin ram (for singles). My boats good to 74 and I have a single ram IMCO. Night and day different. Over 75 (and how much over 75) you might consider the full if money is a question. The boat is just more stable with the external rig.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I agree with 29Fever.

Quick Reply: When is external hydraulic steering needed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.