Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
502 mpi oil leak, plz help engine gurus.... >

502 mpi oil leak, plz help engine gurus....

Notices

502 mpi oil leak, plz help engine gurus....

Old 08-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

water thermostat, yes, oil, no

Well, just had a local poker run today. I reinstalled my cleaned out breather lines. Made some hard full throttle runs, and i've got more oil in the bilge again. I don't know what the hell is going on. Engine runs like a top. Doesn't smoke when started. Has good oil pressure. Not sure what to do. Tomorrow morning, i'm gonna wash down the engine, clean the bilge, then run the boat with the hatch off and back seat out. I'll have my buddy drive and i'll be checking out the engine. Hopefully i can at least find out where the damn oil is coming from. I found out that i only have approximately 80 hrs since a total rebuild by Baker Eng. I doubt that the rings are shot. But i've heard of stranger ****. Any ideas guys?
Old 08-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, this morning i cleaned out the bilge, again. Cleaned off the motor, again. Took off the breather lines, and found them full of condensation and gunk just from the one day of running. So i cleaned those all out again. Took it out on the lake and for the life of me could not reproduce the oil problem. I did find that both heads are leaking water though. So equally not good. That's probably why i have the amount of moisture in the breathers. It would actually drip out at a good rate, bottom side of the heads where it meats the block. Both fricken sides. The motor was built less than 100 hrs ago, but 6 years ago. Why would those gaskets fail?