2000 500 HP EFI with starting problems

Notices

2000 500 HP EFI with starting problems

Old 09-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by INDY27
I have the Rinda scan tool and pulled no codes, what I did find though is my base setting for the tps sensor is out of range, merc specifies .45-.55 and both of mine were in the .86-.88 range which was apparently too high for the ecu to be in closed loop idle mode. Twisted them until they read .50 and the motors start fine now! Now my tps is out of range on the top side, my throttle position is at 88% instead of 100% where it used to be.......any suggestions?
After taking off my throttle linkage and adjusting the throttle stop, linkage, tps sensor and throttle lever rest and wide open set screws my tps reads in the .52 range closed and the throttle is showing 100% at wot. I will run it tomorrow and see how it starts and idles.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen them hard to start when cold on that setup. I think it is because the fuel in the intake evaporates. the injectors are before the whipple and too far away to give it a crisp start when having sat for a week or two.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Where did Merc put the injectors on the 600sci and up?
Old 09-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Rinda scan tool and pulled no codes, what I did find though is my base setting for the tps sensor is out of range, merc specifies .45-.55 and both of mine were in the .86-.88 range which was apparently too high for the ecu to be in closed loop idle mode. Twisted them until they read .50 and the motors start fine now! Now my tps is out of range on the top side, my throttle position is at 88% instead of 100% where it used to be.......any suggestions?
WOT tps has no bearing on running, you just need to check linkage mechanically, does it go WOT? If it does, leave it, will not effect anything. If it doesn't you have to readjust linkage so you can get WOT. Verify that blades are close to centerline when open WOT, verify linkage hits stop at WOT.

Dustin
Old 09-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Registered

Where did Merc put the injectors on the 600sci and up?
Merc has them in the port. This raises the SC a good 3-4".
Old 09-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Registered

Always cycle key 3-4 times before starting. Always try starting with throttle in closed position. The fuel does evaporate after a few days, therefore the manifold, valves, etc. are all dry. It takes a bit to get the motor filled with fuel, and this is different amount when it starts later in the day. Therefore its touchy in the calibration. Make it perfect at cold start, its rich as all hell when you later startup. Because the motors always run cold, cold start and later start are very close in temp. We aim for the middle of the road for both.

One thing to note is that starting on a launch ramp is much harder than starting on a regular, flat ground. Because the vacuum is very little during cranking, going uphill makes it that much harder.

No matter what though, for your application, we can custom configure it to make it better via the computer. Every engine is different, as is the application, therefore we sometimes have to fine tune this.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
WOT tps has no bearing on running, you just need to check linkage mechanically, does it go WOT? If it does, leave it, will not effect anything. If it doesn't you have to readjust linkage so you can get WOT. Verify that blades are close to centerline when open WOT, verify linkage hits stop at WOT.

Dustin
Dustin,
Thanks for all the tips! I have everything perfect on one motor and a few more adjustments should get the other one straight. What effect does the tps sensor have on throttle operation and performance? BTW, I did cycle the key a few times and the motors started a lot sooner.

Lee
Old 09-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whipple chargers

I have a '95 Formula sr1 502 mpi. Starts fine, can't get the idle to come lower than 1250 rpm; surges about 200rpm. Hit the throttle it will rev, then drop to 900for 2/3 seconds then go to 1250 again. Even after reaches operating temp.

This is the older style (mounts off the side of motor) My tps sensor usually mounted on the bottom of the secondary, was unpluged, and pluged into an auxilary fuel pump. (supply fuel to injectors on blower) What exactly does the TPS do?? Especially if it is unpluged. Am I missing a TEE to connect the TPS and the fuel pump. Any help would be great.
Thanks for reading

Last edited by pocketchange22; 09-29-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pocketchange22
What exactly does the TPS do??
The Throttle Position Sensor tells the ECU the position of the butterfly, in other words, how much throttle you are giving. The sensor is acutaly a variabel resistor, when the throttle is closed the value will be around 0V and around 5V at WOT. Together with RPM the ECU will then determine how much fuel is needed based on the fuel inj. map.

BTW
I would look at the IAC (Idle Air Control) first, if the idle is rough or RPM cycles up and down.

Last edited by Hydrolift; 09-29-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Registered

whipple charged,
How does being on an uphill ramp affect vacuum?