mefi tuning question for experts >

mefi tuning question for experts

Notices

mefi tuning question for experts

Old 08-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well what ever you do don't over drive your headlights and watch for gator tails!
Old 08-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
Well what ever you do don't over drive your headlights and watch for gator tails!
Good idea
Old 08-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On one side I agree that the program should be protected by the installler, but on the other I think that it should be accessable.
What if the guy who locks the ECM dies, goes out of business, or some other unforseen circumstance?
Old 08-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow
A little off topic here.

Tuning has come along way since the 90's I was Tuning cars back in the 90's. I was there when Tuner cats had beta porgrams out there. GMepro was there in the begining. My first programming . I was flashing chips for 85 corvettes. I had a UV eraser/Programmer. now its all flash...were you dont remove the chips.
I was running diacom for my car back in 95. Only Dos based. Good luck trying to find a PC now with Dos only. Running windows XP as Dos did not work well.
The locking of code was out then also. but a tad easier to crack. You were still able to read the chip just had to manipulate the chechsum some to get in. The good ole days. I have a pile of Bins file from my car.

I just purchased diacom from my 2006 496 Ho's .I spoke with MEFI burn about software for it(PCM555). Said they are working on it.
Sometime reverese engineer or someone leaks the info for the PCM.

Good thread !

Dennis
Old 08-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 863 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
This is very interesting and while I have learned a few things reading this it is still way over my head.

Interesting that there are programs out there like these but I for one simply to not have the time, enough knowledge or the desire to risk my motors while experimenting.

I for one think that putting the motors on a dyno with a proven builder like Mark or Tyler that have years of real world experience is the smart way to go. Then you simply go boating and enjoy!
Doc,my motor WAS dynoed by a proven operator,I am just fine tuning it in the boat for "as installed" real, world conditions. I have found a few areas that were fairly rich that Tyler didn't spend alot of time tuning on while on the dyno because I think he simply never thought I would run there much. Either way it seems over whelming to a newcomer or a first timer(like myself) but the more you do it and more you understand about it the easier it gets just like anything else. The real plus side to it (in my case) is by going from a mid 10 afr to a 13-1afr at certain light throttle cruising settings equals a 20 plus% drop in fuel consumption and less wear and tear on motor due to cyl wash/oil dilution,Smitty
Old 08-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by articfriends
Doc,my motor WAS dynoed by a proven operator,I am just fine tuning it in the boat for "as installed" real, world conditions. I have found a few areas that were fairly rich that Tyler didn't spend alot of time tuning on while on the dyno because I think he simply never thought I would run there much. Either way it seems over whelming to a newcomer or a first timer(like myself) but the more you do it and more you understand about it the easier it gets just like anything else. The real plus side to it (in my case) is by going from a mid 10 afr to a 13-1afr at certain light throttle cruising settings equals a 20 plus% drop in fuel consumption and less wear and tear on motor due to cyl wash/oil dilution,Smitty
I understand that if you can tune it both on the dyno and in the boat that you have the best of both worlds. Good luck with the programming and keep us posted and thank you for the reply.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
On one side I agree that the program should be protected by the installler, but on the other I think that it should be accessable.
What if the guy who locks the ECM dies, goes out of business, or some other unforseen circumstance?
Hey the air sure did smell a lot better around here today!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 863 Likes on 402 Posts

Hoping for good weather in the morning,doing some preliminary stuff to get ready. Last time out I saw that I was a little lean around 5000-5200 under part throttle light boost so I added some fuel at the 100 map setting from 5000 up and also bumped multiplier up slightly at 105 and 110 map,after wards on subsequent pull afr's at part throttle light boost dropped from high 13's to mid to low 12's. What I screwed up on though is I saw that my 100 map bpw from 5600 to 6000 had the numbers going backwards slightly ( started out around 6.0 and went down to about 5.6 at 5800) so I "fixed" them by raising them progressively to 6000 rpm's. I started remembering though AFTER posting this thread and confirming that the multiplier tables were based off the 100 map setting that Tyler had to take a slight amount of fuel out of the 100 map tables towards 6000 rpm's to keep afr's in the mid 11's on the dyno so I'm going to go change the numbers back from 5400 up,glad I saved a copy of original tune! Smitty
Old 08-08-2008, 07:29 AM
Registered
Platinum Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smitty, make sure you dont go past about 85% on duty cycle @ the higher rpms it is hard on the injectors. Make a recording and see how high the bpw goes including the boost mult. And if you are close to 85% the knock control canot add any more fuel even if it goes static there is no more time in the cycle.
Mark

Last edited by CAL MAN; 08-08-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by CAL MAN
Smitty, make sure you dont go past about 85% on duty cycle @ the higher rpms it is hard on the injectors. Make a recording and see how high the bpw goes including the boost mult. And if you are close to 85% the knock control canot add any more fuel even if it goes static there is no more time in the cycle.
Mark
You are first class Mark.

Quick Reply: mefi tuning question for experts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.