Carburetor experts only please >

Carburetor experts only please

Notices

Carburetor experts only please

Old 08-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoFastSonic
Thanks for all of the advice sounds like we are way of track with our thinking and will try the advice. I installed 2 new fuel pumps and regulators and new fuel line from the pickup's and checked there are no restrictions in the pick ups? Hmmmmm
Have you actually flowed the fuel system to see if it's flowing enough fuel?

Wellllll they are 350's with 10.5 comp and bow tie heads. Rollers cams with a little bit of lift. Nothing crazy breating thru stainless marine exhaust.
This combination is not going to make enough vacuum at WOT to worry about closing the Power Valves.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RumRunner
Have you actually flowed the fuel system to see if it's flowing enough fuel?

This combination is not going to make enough vacuum at WOT to worry about closing the Power Valves.
No I did not check volume? WHat is the best way to do that?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Registered

No I did not check volume? WHat is the best way to do that?
Check with your fuel pump manufacture so they can tell you how they want it flowed to make sure it's flowing within the parameters it was designed to.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

RumRunner. Please explain how you can have good fuel pressure at WOT and yet be running out of volume. I'm having trouble comprehending that. Seems like if the volume was insufficient the pressure would fall off.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobl
RumRunner. Please explain how you can have good fuel pressure at WOT and yet be running out of volume. I'm having trouble comprehending that. Seems like if the volume was insufficient the pressure would fall off.
Volume and pressure are independent of each other. You can flow 60 Gallons Per Hour at 6 PSI, just as easily as flowing 600Gallons Per Hours at 6 PSI. Just because you have X amount of fuel pressure doesn't mean it is flowing ENOUGH volume for the engines demands.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Registered

I understand that. But, wouldn't the pressure drop if the volume was inadequate? Isn't pressure generated because you have more volume going in than is being used? If the engine is using more fuel than can be supplied then the pressure should fall, right? I always felt if the fuel pressure was good there was not a supply problem, or if there was a supply problem the pressure would drop at WOT. I'm not trying to dispute what you are saying as I totally respect you as the most knowledgable carb guy around. Just trying to understand and learn something.

Originally Posted by RumRunner
Volume and pressure are independent of each other. You can flow 60 Gallons Per Hour at 6 PSI, just as easily as flowing 600Gallons Per Hours at 6 PSI. Just because you have X amount of fuel pressure doesn't mean it is flowing ENOUGH volume for the engines demands.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobl
I understand that. But, wouldn't the pressure drop if the volume was inadequate? Isn't pressure generated because you have more volume going in than is being used? If the engine is using more fuel than can be supplied then the pressure should fall, right? I always felt if the fuel pressure was good there was not a supply problem, or if there was a supply problem the pressure would drop at WOT. I'm not trying to dispute what you are saying as I totally respect you as the most knowledgable carb guy around. Just trying to understand and learn something.
You're right and wrong... Within a given "Known" situation that was running properly if the pressure dropped it CAN be an indication that the volume isn't keeping up with the engine, however there are a couple of things to look at.

First the fact that you can use a 100 GPH block mounted fuel pump, and have 6 lbs of fuel pressure, but you can use a 300 GPH electric pump and still have 6 lbs going to the carburetor. So with which one will you get more fuel to the carburetor?

Next there is actual an inverse in pressure and volume meaning the more pressure you have the less volume you're actually flowing. Take the little Holley Blue fuel pumps they flow 110 GPH Free flow (no pressure against them), but they are like 70 GPH at 9 PSI. The same is true of the bigger pumps as well.

Now we get into Pressure at the N&S you can actually raise the pressure going to the N&S and flow more fuel through it (due to pressure differential), but you also run the risk of aerating the fuel.

If you were to take two 5 Gallon buckets, and cut a 1" hole in the center of the bottom of both of them and fill one with 1 gallon, and the other with 5 gallons, and put them over the top of a 1 gallon pale the buck with more volume with flow faster through the same hole and fill the 1 gallon pale quicker.

When it comes to running fuel pressure I prefer to run lower pressure (to the carburetor) with larger N&S so I can control it better.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:31 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,182 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Real life head scratcher (at that time) issue

Fue System In this order - Pump/fuel flow meter/psi gauge / 3 ft of -8 line/psi gauge / carb.
Psi read fine and exact same on the 2 different gauges.
Carb bowl fuel turned into frothy mess than dropped out of view.
Motor ran f'd up / A/F ratios went up thru the moon.
Removed fuel flow meter.
Carb kept constant fuel level w/ no frothing.
Same psi.
Engine ran good without missing a beat and a/f ratios right on target

So,
Not enough volume - plenty of psi

Real life example that Dyno company called BS too......until after we solved it and reported our exact findings.

Thank god for clear sight glass on some Carbs. It proved what was happening and threw some people's thoughts and theories right out the window.

Last edited by SB; 08-14-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Registered

So the frothing was something restricting the volume, yet psi was good? Interesting. I'm still having a hard time with this. If the volume is too low, the needle and seat will stay open because the fuel bowl is not full. Therefore the pressure should drop. What am I missing in this picture? Keep the discussion coming.

Originally Posted by SB
Real life head scratcher (at that time) issue

Fue System In this order - Pump/fuel flow meter/psi gauge / 3 ft of -8 line/psi gauge / carb.
Psi read fine and exact same on the 2 different gauges.
Carb lost fuel level / came back but in frothy mess.
Motor ran f'd up / A/F ratios went up thru the moon.
Removed fuel flow meter.
Carb kept constant fuel level w/ no frothing.
Same psi.
Engine ran good without missing a beat and a/f ratios right on target

So,
Not enough volume - plenty of psi

Real life example that Dyno company called BS too......until after we solved it and reported our exact findings.

Thank god for clear sight glass on some Carbs. It proved what was happening and threw some people's thoughts and theories right out the window.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow this is getting deep I should have "paid" more attention in school

Quick Reply: Carburetor experts only please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.