Oil full of water... what to do >

Oil full of water... what to do

Notices

Oil full of water... what to do

Old 08-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil full of water... what to do

Engine is a 1997 rebuilt 454 carb motor that I had the heads redone and put on a whipple blower with full EFI. Closed loop cooling system.

Engine died while running at 3500rpm. Wouldn't restart. Got it home and started checking it out.

The oil on dipstick is about 5 quarts too high. Hmm... maybe the remote oil cooler drained back into the engine. Then the closed loop cooling is empty- I start filling it- 5 gallons and no stopping. Then I hear a trickling noise. After I investigate- the dipstick housing is loose at the block and leaking...anti-freeze! I pulled it out and my cooling system comes out through the dipstick hole.

Now I'm sitting here on the porch looking at the boat. I'm thinking it's time for a top end tear down: exhaust, blower, intake, heads. But I can't help but think my reman engine block might be cracked. Would it be worth it to pull the whole motor instead of working in the engine bay the whole time? Although I'd hate to pull motor to find out the intake manifold is leaking. But even then, I've had it out over 5 times with water in the oil after almost every run and it's overheated three times due to an old impellor lodged in the steering cooler, so I'm sure the bearings and rings have taken a beating.

Also, I'm only here with the boat at my parent's house until Sunday. Then I'm off to Florida for flight training for 4 months and then Hawaii for 3 years. I was going to leave the boat here for storage.

Maybe I should pull the motor and tear it down so at least I know whats wrong with it- then put a new one in when I get back from Hawaii?

What do you guys think?
Old 08-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by zimm17
Engine is a 1997 rebuilt 454 carb motor that I had the heads redone and put on a whipple blower with full EFI. Closed loop cooling system.

Engine died while running at 3500rpm. Wouldn't restart. Got it home and started checking it out.

The oil on dipstick is about 5 quarts too high. Hmm... maybe the remote oil cooler drained back into the engine. Then the closed loop cooling is empty- I start filling it- 5 gallons and no stopping. Then I hear a trickling noise. After I investigate- the dipstick housing is loose at the block and leaking...anti-freeze! I pulled it out and my cooling system comes out through the dipstick hole.

Now I'm sitting here on the porch looking at the boat. I'm thinking it's time for a top end tear down: exhaust, blower, intake, heads. But I can't help but think my reman engine block might be cracked. Would it be worth it to pull the whole motor instead of working in the engine bay the whole time? Although I'd hate to pull motor to find out the intake manifold is leaking. But even then, I've had it out over 5 times with water in the oil after almost every run and it's overheated three times due to an old impellor lodged in the steering cooler, so I'm sure the bearings and rings have taken a beating.

Also, I'm only here with the boat at my parent's house until Sunday. Then I'm off to Florida for flight training for 4 months and then Hawaii for 3 years. I was going to leave the boat here for storage.

Maybe I should pull the motor and tear it down so at least I know whats wrong with it- then put a new one in when I get back from Hawaii?

What do you guys think?
If it's 3 years until you will see it again you might just want to drain everything out, fog out the cylinders so nothing seizes, and kick back a cold one.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I would go buy a couple of cases of oil and a few filters. Drain the oil and pull the spark plugs out. Fill it with fresh oil and crank the engine and get oil pressure. Dump and repeat. If you dont get the water and coolant out of the motor you will have junk when you get back to it.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Registered

Since it's a 454 and I want to replace it with a 502 crate motor long block- maybe I should pull the dana exhaust, blower, intake, and get my crane gold roller rockers off the engine- then just fill the rest of the block up with oil and let her sit.

I can use my electric fuel pump to get my 50 gallons of fuel out of the tank and fill up my truck a couple of times.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Registered

the first thing you better do is get the antifreeze out of the bores and interior or there will be no usable parts left inside when you get back from flying.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Get water/antifreeze out, drain coolant so it doesn't just happen again, crank over, refill with oil again and again until no more milk shake. Spray oil in cylinders, lots. Blown head gasket.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Registered

I drained coolant and oil. Refilled with mineral spirts and oil mix (to evaporate water). It's started right up and sounded like there was gravel in the engine- I think there's some rods or pistons missing. I shut her down and drained everything out. Not even worth refilling with oil.

Oh well, new long block when I get back in 2011... Maybe by then Mercruiser will have a new lightweight, fuel efficient 500HP crate motor.