Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anybody make a marine wiring harness kit? >

Anybody make a marine wiring harness kit?

Notices

Anybody make a marine wiring harness kit?

Old 03-03-2002, 12:00 PM
Wildfire

Default Anybody make a marine wiring harness kit?

Just wondering if anybody out there makes a wiring harness kit? Something like Painless does for street rods.

I have spent some time poking around the innards of my new old boat and found some 12-2WG UF house wire and other troubling things. Thought it would be quicker & better to buy a prefab than build from scratch.

TIA

Old 03-03-2002, 12:57 PM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott, I bought a complete new harness from Checkmate for my boat. It did'nt cost as much as I thought. I have not heard of anyone like Painless making harnesses for boats. I guess if you can't get one from the builder you may have to do it from scratch.
Eric
Old 03-04-2002, 01:20 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure that the "house wire" Is not just Jacketed Marine wire. They do make a marine wire that is for boats that will have the apearence of Romex house wire but it is stranded. If you strip it back and it is stranded then you have the correct stuff. Not only is it the correct stuff but it is VERY good and some what expensive. I know that Ancor makes this product and I am sure there are a few others.

Jon
Old 03-04-2002, 08:15 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

CpPerformance carries them in their catalog
Old 03-04-2002, 04:24 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wildfire,

Which wiring harness are you refering to? The engine wiring harness can be had from Merc in several different styles, from mild to wild and priced accordingly. I bought one of the simpler models and found when I was done wiring my boat that I could have built one that would have worked just fine. But my application was completely different from a stock setup.

My engine is wired to remove several connections and the motor comes out with out the wiring. Some people like to have the harness connected to the engine, a self contained unit.

If you need a wiring harness for the instruments and ignition and such then the boat manufacture can help you there. I believe they buy them from some one..

Good luck..

Dick
Old 03-04-2002, 10:06 PM
Wildfire

I was thinking of a whole boat harness or a collection of subharnesses that plug into a main harness. Something for the dash, engine, whatever. I have built one before and learned a lot what not to do next time (after I read a book on marine wiring). So I was hoping that someone had been there before. I think the best suggestion is contacting a manufacturer and asking to buy a harness - Magnum no longer supports the 25 I have.

I did recheck the wiring and it is housewire. Either that they just used one really big strand. : ) I have found a few things that seem odd on this boat - more questions will follow as the weather warms up and I tear into it.

Thanks guys.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Registered

Hello, All

My name is Jim and we manufacture marine wiring harness in Dallas, Texas. Following is our website and our product catalog link and if you have any questions you can call us @214-357-6571.

http://www.marlanindustries.com/

Catalog:

http://www.marlanindustries.com/imag...an-Catalog.pdf

Thanks!!
Jim
Old 06-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Registered

Here you go
http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/c/ALL6I/I...el%20Harnesses