Merc 525 Header Question >

Merc 525 Header Question

Notices

Merc 525 Header Question

Old 08-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merc 525 Header Question

I have seen a few headers from late model Merc Racing 525s that are discolored. What does that mean? Also I have read there are some problems with these headers. If I am looking to but a boat with this discoloration, should I move onto another one or is it ok? What is the typical hours that you can get out of these motors? Thanks.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:26 AM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The short answer is that the headers should not be discoloured.

However, I have run two very healthy blue motors (525 and 600) and there is slight discoloration on one or other of the primary pipes on both motors. It turns a light brownish colour. It is usually the port side pipes that get a little warmer than the starboard (as they are further away from the impeller?) and is localised to one primary. It is very easy to polish the colour away, as long as it is only a light tone.
Dark brown or blueish colouration probably means there has been serious water starvation going on, and should be investigated.

On one poker run I had a reoccuring problem of the cooling system airlocking when crossing chop at WOT, resulting in complete loss of cooling (immediately apparent as the pipes sounded dry) and an forcing me to stop. It turned out to be the freshwater flush not sealing properly. Even after that episode the pipes had only slight colouration and were easily polished up.

Any used blue motor should be checked to see if the original seals are still in place, the rpm history checked and a full compression check made.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Registered

So this might have been the result of something bad?
Old 08-11-2008, 11:06 AM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

It might be, but as I canīt see what you are looking at, I canīt be more specific. Is it only one side, or one of two motors? How many hours on the motor(s).

as i said before, a little colouration is not a sure sign of a problem, but they should certainly not be coloured like single wall headers.
Blue motors can handle alot of abuse, but because the motors have a reputation for being robust, they often see hard use and only get attention when the Guardian system calls.

Saltwater created problems on early headers, from what Iīve read, and running in sandy conditions can lead to cooling problems as the heat exchangers get blocked up.

I would try to get a clear picture from the previous owner, and have the motors checked over.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Registered

Can't see it, just a little red X. I think you have to be a member to post pic's. How many hours? Saltwater? Just curious. Doug

Last edited by outriggers; 08-11-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Registered

http://www.yachtauctions.com/detail.asp?stockNo=18565

This is just one of the boats I've seen with the discoloration. I really want a blue motor in my next boat. I hear many good things. But the Sandy condition comments concern me since I boat in NJ and getting out of my lagoon can be a challenge sometimes.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:47 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

That is alot of discolouration, I would say. The dealer should check up on it. You are right to be wary of a boat with those signs of heat build up.

A good seastrainer will keep sand out of the motor.

Blue motors are really good, and the 525 didnīt let me down once. It was always trouble free and ran perfectly. Iīve only got 36 hours on the 600 but it shows the same "take what you deal it" sort of character. Whether running flat out or idling for hours, or towing another boat in for an hour, as I did last week, it just runs cleanl and perfectl all the time. no oiling up or hesitation even after long idling.