external steering, pros and cons >

external steering, pros and cons

Notices

external steering, pros and cons

Old 08-12-2008, 03:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default external steering, pros and cons

will be putting on my boat this fall. who sells the best system for the buck? fit and finish always a plus. what system rates the best in your minds.... tia mark
Old 08-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a brand Imco dual ram SA-2 kit that I never installed with the brazil valve adapter for add on. $1500, I'm in N.J. Sold Boat
Old 08-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Need a little more info, single drive?Bravo?XR? Do you want to go full hydraulic? Or just an add-on. If just an add on do you want a single cylinder or dual cylinder?
Old 08-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Registered

Pros:

- Safer
- Better Handling
- Less chance of drive breakage

Cons:

$$$$$$$$$$$ But this is boating isn't it.

As far as the systems go it's like anything else you get what you pay for.

A single ram add on is better than nothing, Dual ram better yet, and full hydraulic system is the best way to go.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:12 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

There are no cons with hydraulic steering. Even the price makes sense after a few years of use, because of the reduced wear on the gimbal and steering bushings, saves you a trip to the workshop. I´ve run my boat with an Imco dual ram system for 200 hours (hard and fast, 25 foot boat running 80 mph) and there is absolutely no slack, no vertical or lateral wear whatsoever in the drive.

I chose Imco, and am 100% satisfied.
Dual ram is good because the support of the drive is symmetrical.
If you have only external hydraulics, you will still have the slack of the cable to the helm, but it is less apparent because the rams dampen the feedback from the drive.

Go the extra 1500$ and the full hydraulic to helm will just blow your mind (and have you wondering how you coped before).
Contrary to what I have seen on some other systems, the steering is light to operate, both at speed and at idle.

Boat will fishtail less in no wake zones, and hold its course at speed, with no correction at the wheel.
What may seem strange at first (with full hydraulic) is that the center position wanders with every correction on the wheel.

Fit a symmetrical wheel and forget about it.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with Wildman. Do it right and go with full hydraulic. Lots of pros, no cons.

XS Performance has some nice systems and I know they were priced very reasonable at one time.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Zeiger makes the cleanest looking system IMO>
Old 08-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
Zeiger makes the cleanest looking system IMO>
I have a brand new Zeiger Full to the helm, twin ram for single bravo I will let go cheap if anyone is interested, pm me
Old 08-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hardin, IMCO, Zeiger and others all have some great products.

I have NEVER heard of someone installing external steering and saying that they wish they had not.

I have a single ram Hardin (Mayfair) on my X-18. It is an add on. I like it and will probably upgrade it to full later. For now it does the trick on my little 70 or so mph boat. I am very pleased with it. It totally eliminated my chine walk. I did not need anything exotic and this worked great

I have an IMCO full hydraulic twin ram on the 26ZX. I am very happy with it as well. This boat is fast and really needs to full setup.

I would recommend either of these products.

I have noticed that most are going to a wing plate setup. Hardin has developed a very cool looking wing plate.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new on the market!

Mayfair byHardin Marines latest new Modular Wing plate Add-on steering system.This wing plate steering mount design incorporates dual side links and a single rear load cap that bolt together forming a strong bridge like cradle. The rear load cap bolts to and captures the outdrives rear end cap while the side links attach to the outdrives four mounting points at the Gimbal housing. This system eliminates the need to drill and tap your existing out drive for additional fastners like the current end cap systems sold today (Voiding Factory warranties). Best of all there is no disassembly of your outdrives rear end cap (again voids factory warranties) and these new systems fit all generations of Bravo outdrives including the new "Slope Back" style as well as come in different widths for multiple different transom applications. Buy the whole kit and you'll receive the one piece SS thru-hulls, polished SS rams, pre-made SS braided lines and SS fittings and more.

http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=9124

Quick Reply: external steering, pros and cons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.