496 HO trouble codes >

496 HO trouble codes

Notices

496 HO trouble codes

Old 08-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 HO trouble codes

I have a new Eliminator with a 496ho with some issues. The engine has Dana Exhaust from the factory. I am getting the gardian mode at full throttle and I retrieved the codes with my Rinda scan tool.
I tryed a search but could not find a list of troble codes, can someone help me out?

77 cam senser
160 prt emct
9 gardian mode
179 enct overheat
19 overspeed

I am quite a distance from a service center and would like to repair myself. I can provide more info if needed.
Thanks in adavnce
Old 08-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 22 DAYTONA
I have a new Eliminator with a 496ho with some issues. The engine has Dana Exhaust from the factory. I am getting the gardian mode at full throttle and I retrieved the codes with my Rinda scan tool.
I tryed a search but could not find a list of troble codes, can someone help me out?

77 cam senser
160 prt emct
9 gardian mode
179 enct overheat
19 overspeed

I am quite a distance from a service center and would like to repair myself. I can provide more info if needed.
Thanks in adavnce
160 is the port side exhaust manifold sensor. Either it broke during removal/installation of new exhaust, is unplugged completely, it has failed or it got too hot.

179 is the engine coolant temp. Did the motor go over 180deg f? If so, this will set, which would also set the exhaust manifold code as well. Either it got over 180 (I think its near 195deg F to set), or sensor is bad, or its a wiring/installation problem.

19 overspeed code happens whenever guardian activates and your rpm is higher than the targeted rpm. So while it brings your rpm down, your rpm is over the targeted rpm, setting the overspeed code.

77 is probably from the motor missing during guardian, this pops up sometimes when guardian misfires cylinders.

Check your temperature, you might want to verify that your gauges are coming from the computer vs. a seperate sensor. Should be from computer on late model 496's, but you never know. Therefore your gauge may read different than your computer. You can buy a scanner from www.rinda.com. If your always away from service center, might be a good idea to have one handy.

Dustin
Old 08-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Registered

Thanks Dustin,
A new whipple was ordered this morning for this boat. I need to get the bugs out before the installation.
I am using the Rinda tool to get my codes. I will look at the temperature when it set the high temp fault code.
How do you think a new 22 Daytona will run with the Whipple installed. This boat is supposed to run 85mph now. I get to 78 and it shuts down. I am hoping to see close to the tripple digit mark.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Registered

Do you have a picture of the boat and or installed pics of the exhaust?
Old 08-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Registered

I cant post pics here because I am not a paid member. This is the boat that you guys did for Bob and completed some of your test on. I bought it as a demo. White with blues and purples and a silver interior. It is the boat on your website. I am going to call you today for a little help.
You can call me if you get a chance. 903-738-2007
Thanks.
Buy the way Dustin, Call Dave at Northcoast performace. He is trying to order my whipple.
Thanks Mitch.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Registered

I'm working on converting a video file of footage we have when we tested your boat. We made at least 18 passes in that boat and it was tuned with a portable O2 sensor. That boat ran flawlessly time and time again. The best speed we ever saw out of it was 83 mph. That was on dead flat water, so I'm sure once you get in some chop it will free up to 85.

We ran the boat successfully for a good amount of time, so I know there's nothing wrong with the install or the sensors. That boat was built almost 2 years ago, so the big question is, has the water pump impeller ever been serviced?

The heat sensor in the exhaust is most likely causing the guardian situation. The exhaust sensors are pretty sensitive, if your marginally cooling the engine because of a worn impeller, it would trip those sensors.

Hope this info helps and I'll be posting a link of the video within a day or two. Congratulations on that boat, it truly is the best handling cat I've ever driven. At 80 MPH it literally feels like your in a Cadillac.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Registered

Thanks guys, I already had a impeller ordered.
Do you remember what prop was on the boat?

Last edited by 22 DAYTONA; 08-20-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Registered

We ended up with a 30 pitch 4 blade Bravo prop. I actually hit the rev limiter once with that prop installed. I was by myself, light on fuel, and the lake was a little choppy.

We did an install on a second brand new 22 Daytona about a month later and that boat turned the same propeller up to the border line of the rev limiter with two guys in the boat and it ran 84 with relatively flat water.

Unfortunately we didn't have a 31 labbed finished 4 blade prop to try, but that seemed like it would have been a good choice for a final prop.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dana marine products
We ended up with a 30 pitch 4 blade Bravo prop. I actually hit the rev limiter once with that prop installed. I was by myself, light on fuel, and the lake was a little choppy.

We did an install on a second brand new 22 Daytona about a month later and that boat turned the same propeller up to the border line of the rev limiter with two guys in the boat and it ran 84 with relatively flat water.

Unfortunately we didn't have a 31 labbed finished 4 blade prop to try, but that seemed like it would have been a good choice for a final prop.
You know I can just change the rev limit on those?
Old 08-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 22 DAYTONA
Thanks Dustin,
A new whipple was ordered this morning for this boat. I need to get the bugs out before the installation.
I am using the Rinda tool to get my codes. I will look at the temperature when it set the high temp fault code.
How do you think a new 22 Daytona will run with the Whipple installed. This boat is supposed to run 85mph now. I get to 78 and it shuts down. I am hoping to see close to the tripple digit mark.
I think you'll be right there with good conditions. I've run a 22' here with the blower, stock exhaust and it ran 96mph all over the rev limiter and we didn't have another prop, never got WOT. So I think 100 would be pretty good. This other boat had a Imco shorty lower too, but wasn't overly happy with it at lower speeds.

On your codes, makes sure the motor didn't overheat, if it did thats your issue. If it didn't, monitor the exhaust water temp via your scan tool. Port and star should match.

Dustin

Quick Reply: 496 HO trouble codes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.