Battery question >

Battery question

Notices

Battery question

Old 08-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 233 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Your boat sounds just like cbgnrl's '97 290 PQ. I tease him all the time it was wired by monkeys. PQ makes a nice boat but their wiring left a lot to be desired. He is constantly chasing electrical gremlins.
Same Boat
hopefully this will take care of it.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Your systems legs should come right off the battery switch and have fusible links in them. One goes to the tabs/drives supply, one for dash/engine circuits and one for cabin circuits. Obviously this is for a basic performance boat. If you have electric fuel pumps that draw big current, another circuit is waranted. Big stereo? Another one. BIG stereo- separate battery.

Make sure your bilge pump circuit comes off of the feed side (input) of your battery cutoffs.
thats kind of what I was thinking.
Chris thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 760 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
thats kind of what I was thinking.
Chris thanks for taking the time to respond.
Part of the problem, at least with the cbgnrl's PQ, was the power for some of the heavy draw systems was not coming off separate legs from the batteries.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Part of the problem, at least with the cbgnrl's PQ, was the power for some of the heavy draw systems was not coming off separate legs from the batteries.
I ran a 8 gauge ground wire to a bus bar behind the switch pael last night,
I will tonight run a 8 gauge power supply wire to a bus bar behind the switch panel also and tap into it.
that should take care of it.I hope!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Registered

Ran the 8 gauge power wire to a bus bar behind the switch panel and connected the radio,trim tabs and trim switches to it,everything now seems to be working fine,gauges dont jump up when I turn on the nav lights or any other accesory,radio also works fine while I use the trim tabs,seems to be all good at this time.
the only issue I still have is the radio going out during engine cranking,I never really paid attention to it before,I think that would be normal operation,Iam I correct ?????
Old 08-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
I have ran two "dual purpose" batteries for the last two seasons and they have worked well. And I run my stereo a lot while sitting.
Optima Blue tops are another option, There more money but a great battery for marine use
Old 08-21-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Run a search on here about Optimas. My experience was bad, as has been many others. Keep in mind, I buy them by the pallet for our fleet and I've had stellar service life from them in our trucks. The boat is a different story.

I buy the basic battery & replace them every spring.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are are right about Powerquest Wiring, I laughed at a few of the connections / wiring. I did the same thing, ran heavier wire and took care of a lot of problems. As far as batteries, I run 2-6 volt batteries and one big diesel start for cranking the engines. I just spend 4 nights on the Mississippi river on an island with the refrigerator running and the radio, and my 6 volts never went dead.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:48 AM
jjj
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2000 F260SS Formula came new with 2 deep cycle batteries. Replaced one last spring & the second one this spring. I think 7 & 8 years on a battery is pretty darn good. I stuck with the same.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A deep cycle will spin a low compression small block just fine. The bigger you go, the worse they work.

Quick Reply: Battery question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.