Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
2 motors vs three >

2 motors vs three

Notices

2 motors vs three

Old 08-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you tripp guys finding insurance OK?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kr1276
You don't have to yank the center prop. Sure you could pull the prop to reduce drag but it is not necessary.

I have trip 496's and my boat it will plane on any combination of the two. I blew a drive on the port side halfway between Key West and Sanibel. I was actually on my way back to Tampa and continued on, but Sanibel was a fuel stop on the way back. I ran the port engine at idle and left it in neutral so the hydraulic steering worked properly. It is a little harder to get on plane but not a big issue and can still cruise about 40-45 on two. I have had trips for four years and find more positives than negatives to having them.

I remember my 38 with twins and when one went down, you better hope and pray you are not 40 miles from your destination as you are not going to get on plane.

I agree that maintenance costs are higher but since I do most of the maintenance myself, it is negligible.

I would definitely go trips on my next boat.
My Hustler had a priority valve so I always had power assist as long as one of the rear engines was alive.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed,

That is something I need to check into. Who's steering system was on your boat?

Jason,

There was an increase when I went to trips vs twins even though there was not a big difference in speed. No problem getting insurance.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by kr1276
Ed,

That is something I need to check into. Who's steering system was on your boat?

Jason,

There was an increase when I went to trips vs twins even though there was not a big difference in speed. No problem getting insurance.
I had Mayfair which is now Marine Machine. The priority valve is an easy add-on as long as you have two belt-driven power steering pumps.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 422 Likes on 282 Posts

I wish I can test drive a triple someday, and really see the fuel consumption difference, apparently very little different... Still have a little doubt...
Old 08-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Registered

trips verses bigger twins? about the same from my last 2 boats.about the same hp about the same fuel useage but different octane cheaper, we spend most of the time in the 3000 to 3400 range now. what is this priority valve and who makes it, sounds like something i should add when the starboard pump goes out.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by trips2win
trips verses bigger twins? about the same from my last 2 boats.about the same hp about the same fuel useage but different octane cheaper, we spend most of the time in the 3000 to 3400 range now. what is this priority valve and who makes it, sounds like something i should add when the starboard pump goes out.
It's the $hit! You need power steering pumps on both engines both plummed to the priority valve and from the valve to the steering actuator. If one engine stops, the pressure comes from the running engine and you do not lose your power assist. I'm sure it's a MerCruiser part available from any MerCruiser parts house or from Latham. Jay Ross, when he was with Sonic, was the one who told me about it many years ago.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jeff32
I wish I can test drive a triple someday, and really see the fuel consumption difference, apparently very little different... Still have a little doubt...
If I still had my Hustler I would invite you.

I once donated a day on a high performance boat for auction to the Wildlife Rescue down here. A guys wife bought it for him for his birthday. He still says it was one of the best birthday presents he ever received. I ran him, his wife and two of his friends from Port Everglades to Government Cut full blast. At first they were scared, but when they realized I wasn't going to kill them, they loved it.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Registered

Has anyone changed a 3 engine to use only the 2 and taken out the middle and plugging the transom?
Old 08-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Registered

Ed,

I have Latham steering and there is a "T"block that feeds the fluid from the two pumps for the steering. There is a definite difference in how the steering works without one of the motors running. I checked on Latham's site but did not see anything mentioned. I need one of these valves.

Keith

Quick Reply: 2 motors vs three

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.