Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Steering Stabilizer >

Steering Stabilizer

Notices

Steering Stabilizer

Old 03-04-2002, 11:15 AM
syringa

Default Steering Stabilizer

Anyone out there use a steering stabilizer instead of complete ext steeriiing?? Eddie Marine sells them. If you have installed one I sure would like to know the results. Thks

Old 03-04-2002, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a dual kit last spring on my Formula 242LS- twin Alphas.
I didn't feel the boat was quite worth the cost of a full hydraulic set-up, but wanted to increase the safety of the steering (we experienced a starboard engine failure at WOT that nearly rolled the boat over-quite violent).
The Drews made a noticeable difference in the way the boat handles. Since this is a non-counter-rotating boat, it had some torque steer, even with power steering. This problem is almost non-existent now. I also added a WPM external tie-bar (nice piece!). It is important to have a good helm and steering cable- replace them if there is any play.
I would recommend them to anyone looking for steering safety and better handling on a budget!
Jim
Old 03-04-2002, 12:39 PM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

Waterfoul, I think has been using one for sometime now. I have one along with some other parts that need to be installed this spring. From what I have heard most people like them.

Les
Old 03-04-2002, 12:49 PM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

syringa, Where are you in relation to Shuswap? My girlfriend and I were at the boat show down here in Washington and kept seeing the ads for the houseboats on Shuswap, so now she wants to go up there one of these days.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:22 PM
syringa

Niuhi>> I run a Mercruiser dealership in the Kootenays which is close to the US/Can border. Shushwap lake is about 4 hours from here. If it's houseboats your interested in then the Shushwap is THE place to go. It's a beautiful lake and in the summer time there r literally hundreds of houseboats on it. There are several rental outfits there. Do a search i'm sure you will find lots of info and them come and see us. With the dollar exchange rate you US people could have a ball!!

Old 03-05-2002, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

I found this pic of the install after completion- included drive reservoirs and Simrek Summit drive showers. Some spacers had to be fabricated to make it all play, and the stabilizers had to be installed inboard because of the brackets for the swim platform. It all worked out pretty well in the end. The external tie-bar and swim platform are removed in this shot for clarity.
Attached Thumbnails Steering Stabilizer-010608-001chg.jpg