Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
GPS speedo receiver mounting tips. >

GPS speedo receiver mounting tips.

Notices

GPS speedo receiver mounting tips.

Old 03-04-2002, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS speedo receiver mounting tips.

I just received my new GPS speedo system from Nordskog and need some advice on where to mount the receiver. I don't really want to mount it in a visible location. I think I may be able to mount it under the deck somewhere. I know the deck on the sides of my boat are glass only with no structural wood. If you shine a flash light on the surface you can see it shining through the other side. I think this would be a good place to mount receiver. Where did you put yours? Will it work through the thin fiberglass I just described? Thanks in advance for any helpful feedback.
Old 03-04-2002, 02:32 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 556 Posts
Arrow

Most should work under the deck no problem. If you have any heavy gauge wire running near it like a stereo system it may interfere but probably not. Easiest way is to hook everything up and just place it where you will want it to seee if it works!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-04-2002, 03:16 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In order for the gps receiver to work properly it must have a line of sight. 90 degrees of sight (horizon to straight up) will work, but you are guaranteed to lose the signal with some regularity. The best location will be where the receiver can receive 180 degrees (horizon to horizon). In order for the unit too work it must receive 3 satilites. It's accuracy improves greatly, if it receives more. In my opinion, if you mount the receiver on the horizontal area at the stern by your sun pad the receiver will not be too noticable.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:58 AM
Registered

wv,

I mounted my GPS receiver exactly where cord suggests. Im so anal that I used velcro for the whole setup, including the screed readout at the helm. i can move ithe pickup any time, but haven't for three years. no holes drilled anywhere in the hull, and when the neices grab it and say "what's this uncle Rob" i just STICK it back on.

Hi cord, hungry for Chicago pizza again? Waterfoul took all the leftovers last time
Old 03-07-2002, 08:48 AM
Registered

Thanks for the tips. I already bought the velcro and plan on doing some experimentation before I decide on a final mounting location. As soon as the snow melts and the ice thaws I will get out there and give it a shot. I'm hoping the speed feedback will allow me to eek a few more MPH out of my ride. Until now I have been driving by the seat of my pants using only the tach to tell me how I'm doing. My pitot tube is out of the water over about 75 MPH, so I just eliminated it. I'll post my results.
Old 03-07-2002, 09:01 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Rambunctious
wv,

Hi cord, hungry for Chicago pizza again? Waterfoul took all the leftovers last time

Man, that sure was some good stuff eh? That's one of the things that I really like about the board! Just meeting people and making friends!