Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
rebuild and get more hp out of 500 hp carb motor >

rebuild and get more hp out of 500 hp carb motor

Notices

rebuild and get more hp out of 500 hp carb motor

Old 08-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 126 Likes on 36 Posts

I was thinking about getting these riser from emi here is the link. Again I THANK ALL OF YOU FOR THE HELP!!!!!

http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/car...&p=13038&c=249
Old 08-23-2008, 09:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's on there now? How does the water enter the tailpipe? How far from the manifold? Pics?
Old 08-23-2008, 10:21 PM
Registered

I have the short ones for the silent choice and they do not recommend using a high performance cam with them. This is what they say about the ones i am thinking about buying and just putting mine on eBay. The link is the pair i have.

http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/car...&p=13039&c=249

Equipped with our performance Stainless Steel High Flow Risers, these are our best performing systems. They are a direct replacement for stock Mercruiser manifolds in Bravo and Alpha applications where the exhaust outlets exit through the transom in the stock location. The 16" long riser is a must with High Performance camshafts to prevent reversion (water ingestion). These will NOT work with Selector systems or stock "S" pipe connections. Brackets to keep all of the stock componenets in their existing locations (shift quadrant, ignition module and oil filter bracket) are included (There is an additional charge on some late model EFI systems). Standard with black Fusioncoated finish-optional finishes are available. Specify the correct accessory brackets and options when ordering. System includes 1pr. EMI Exhaust Manifolds, 1pr. High Performance Stainless Risers, Bolts, gaskets, fittings and accessory brackets (specify when ordering) System for Big Block Chevy

Last edited by ubet28; 08-23-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you can do with the risers in the link to make them work if you have a straight shot out the transom is this: Find some thin wall SS or aluminum tubing that just lightly presses into the ID of the exhaust gas chamber on the riser. You may need to turn the end of the tubes on a lathe to get a perfect fit. You cut these tubes to a length that when slipped into the risers from the transom side of the boat are flush with the output side of your exhaust tips. Then using some fasteners at the end of the tips, you clamp the inner tubes to the tips. This makes your exhaust effectively dry and you can get pretty aggressive on camshaft. Plus the cost is nil and the crackle is awesome.

BT
Old 08-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by klaw
had a couple 500 hps done over 3 years ago dynod at 565 each have been turnkey troubly free and I run them hard Ateco in waukegan did them
Thanks Klaw, I was thinking about taking the motor to Bill at ATECO. Do rember what he was like on his price?
Old 08-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Here's another option if you like...a marine engine building shop here in western Michigan named WESCO. His name is Dave Wesseldyk.

I would say about 99.5% of all the engines Dave builds are for Marine offshore applications. He has an excellent reputation and many of the guys in Chicago take their engines to him because they cannot seem to find anyone else they can trust to build them right. You can ask "10x"/Frank of the Chicago Powerboat Club about who he recommends and why. And all the guys who have had there engines built by Dave are all out there running every weekend. His stuff stays together!

www.wescoracingengines.com
Old 08-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Registered

Thanks Kaama, I will give him a call.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know Dave personally but I've seen his work. Not heard a bad thing yet about him.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ubet28
Well here is the deal i have a 500 hp carbed motor i got fuked on and if i am gonna be pulling it apart i might as well get some more hp out of it.

So i guess what i am wondering is where to start and part #s best place to shop any info that will help out. Goal is 100 to 150 more hp. pocket around 6000 to 7000.
Also if any has any thing to add that i should consider that would be great. Thanks Jeramy

You can see pics of the motor at the link below

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=193608

You have three threads inquiring about the same motor, who's advice are you going to use????
Old 08-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Registered

I didn't realise i had three threads. If that's the case the more info i can get and go through the better. I did ask this question in the beware section but figured it would not get seen as much as it would in this section.

I went back and found the other thread and i am basically getting the same input. Things have changed now after getting the motor and finding out it is all rusty and **** i guess i just forgot about it.

Last edited by ubet28; 08-24-2008 at 08:31 PM.