Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Oil coolers? >

Oil coolers?

Notices

Oil coolers?

Old 09-01-2008, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil coolers?

Hey guys,I am running modified 454 gen IV motors.Roller cam,high rise intake,800 Holley carb,14qt oil pan.
Should I install a engine oil cooler for this application?Trying to keep the cost down.What type of oil recommended.I used to run Royal purple in my old single engine,this would get pretty pricy at 28 qts!
Thanks
Old 09-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget about the pan capacity for just a second and answer this question- When running hard under the conditions you run in how hot does the oil get? If you run hard for hours at a time now youve got 28 qts of hot oil.

If the answer is over 240 then you need a cooler. Actually the internals will be a lot happier around 180-200 and you'll get many many more hours on your engine before you start losing cylinder pressure and valve seating.

A roller 454 with good aftermarket heads can put out 600HP pretty easy, (unless someone put the parts in backwards of or off 2 teeth on the cam) and that can put quite a "squeeze" on the oil and heat it up faster than you can heat up water.

I remember asking my engine builder this same question and when I brought up the size of the pan as a reason for not needing a cooler he laughed and said "so it'll just take longer to heat up" and in a boat with no airflow over the pan and no stock cooler "you're fooling yourself kid."

Personally Im running an Aeroquip oil cooler in my 406 there are bigger better units for sure though, and can still get the oil pretty hot when river running for 20-30 miles at a time. (heading off to drink and gamble)

Just plumb one in and you'll extend your expensive engines life and your expensive oils as well those 24 quarts could stay golden a whole season if you swap out filters a couple times and keep it cool.

If you keep synthyetic oil cool (but heat it up enough often enough to burn off water and other contaminants) you could use the "swap the filter add a quart" system and be just fine for a few seasons at a time.

Coolers are cheap and youve got an unlimited supply of cold water to take care of the problem.

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 2750 - Ilmor 710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring 406 SB
Fleetwood nitrous toy hauler
Yamaha raptor-700/Kawi-KFX 450
Nissan Titan
Old 09-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Registered

Should have a stock one integrated with the power steering cooler?? If not, one would be a good idea. I wouldn't hink you would need something crazy. a stock unit would most likely be fine. I have a couple extras as well if you're interested. My stock unit and an aftermarket one as well that will cool to 800 HP or so. Both are integrated wth the power steering too.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the info guys!Should I plumb out water pump into oil cooler,into trans cooler,through motor and out exhaust?