How many lbs of compression ??? >

How many lbs of compression ???

Notices

How many lbs of compression ???

Old 09-01-2008, 03:47 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many lbs of compression ???

Wondering how many lbs of compression my motors should have.

540 Ci, 9.0 to 1 comp roller cam .641 lift and approx 242 degrees int dur and 248 ex duration on 114 lobe separation.

I was thinking 160-170 psi but I am being told possibly less ???
Old 09-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 867 Likes on 403 Posts

My 8.4-1 540 has 155-160 w/a cam 4-6 degrees bigger,Smitty
Old 09-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is more important on a comp check is that they are consistant. Are you trying to find a problem? Why the question?
Old 09-01-2008, 06:12 PM

I agree with Jeff every gauge is differant what you realy whant is that they are consistant if you are trying to find a problem.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:25 AM
VIP Member

I was just curious where it should be because I have someone interested in buying my motors. They are all at 140 cold compression, but the guy said he thought they should be at 160 or more. I guess I should run it and get it hot and then check again ?? Maybe it will be higher when hot ???
Old 09-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Smitty
I was just curious where it should be because I have someone interested in buying my motors. They are all at 140 cold compression, but the guy said he thought they should be at 160 or more. I guess I should run it and get it hot and then check again ?? Maybe it will be higher when hot ???
Sounds like he is clutching at straws looking for a way to make you knock money off. If they are all the same, then there is nothing wrong inside. The fact that they are all so close to the same tells you that your engines are in great shape still.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:53 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,179 Likes on 1,435 Posts

Sometimes compression will be tad lower with cold engine.

You'll have lower than normal readings if you do not have the throttle blades all the way open during testing.

Cranking rpm can have a good influence on readins too. Faster cranking = more cranking compression. A restricted compression rule engine will more than likely have a slower starter to help pass tech. So, yup, a fresh battery will cause more psi than a weak battery.

Most gauges read different from each other too.

The cams you have along with your static compression will tend to be around where you see it. You could always put in truck cams, have the cranking compression skyrocket to 180psi, but will that make him happy ??? No way !!!! LOL.

All my opinion and experiences.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SB
Sometimes compression will be tad lower with cold engine.

You'll have lower than normal readings if you do not have the throttle blades all the way open during testing.

Cranking rpm can have a good influence on readins too. Faster cranking = more cranking compression. A restricted compression rule engine will more than likely have a slower starter to help pass tech. So, yup, a fresh battery will cause more psi than a weak battery.

Most gauges read different from each other too.

The cams you have along with your static compression will tend to be around where you see it. You could always put in truck cams, have the cranking compression skyrocket to 180psi, but will that make him happy ??? No way !!!! LOL.

All my opinion and experiences.
Agree
Old 09-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Registered

your compression will be lower on a cold motor with forged pistons cause you run a little more wall clearance than cast pistons. do another comp test on a fully warm motor, use a hot battery for good cranking speed and have the throttle wide open, bet it will be higher
Old 09-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,902 Likes on 955 Posts

Cams with overlap will bleed off some compression. My compression #'s went down on some cylinders after a valve job and install of a bigger cam in my 525SC. It had 7.5 static and was around 130# with a Crane 731 cam. Before the valve job/cam, I had a couple cylinders at 120 and the rest at 140.

Quick Reply: How many lbs of compression ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.