EAGLE crank users... >

EAGLE crank users...

Notices

EAGLE crank users...

Old 03-05-2002, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EAGLE crank users...

Did any of you find that your crank was machined a little bigger then normal cranks.. Did you have any problems with clearance?

The guy I buy my bearings from said that eagle cranks are machined on high limits so I should not run a standard bearing, he said that I should run a fedrual mogal .001" bearing to compinsate for the higher limits on the crank.. ?? is this true.. I have never heard of this..

I am trying to get a set of bearings.. it's either the Clevite "H" series ( bigger chamfer for aftermarket cranks) or the fedrual mogal ones he suggest. and my block is in the shop getting worked on so i can't really measure anything..

thanks

Travis
Old 03-05-2002, 02:24 PM
Registered

My Eagle crank had .0025 on the mains and .003 on the rods with standard bearings. It is brand new 4340 4.25 stroke. Some cranks are overmachined, that is why you see a lot of companies making the .001 tighter bearings. I would say that is not uncommon. What clearance did you end up with, the looser clearances won't hurt, if not extremely out, due to the severe nature of a boat motor.
Old 03-05-2002, 05:13 PM
Registered

I can't measure my block because its in the shop.. I think I will just end up getting a standard set and if they are to tight I can just buy a .001" set to give me some more clearance.. I stil have to do some checkin around..
Old 03-05-2002, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Travis,
The only machining problems I had with the Eagle cranks where the radii on the rod bearing journals. The Clevite bearing with the bigger chamfer was still not enough to clear it. We ended up having Moldex fix them.
As far as the other machining tolerances I don't remember, I was just the assembly person , my friend was the one checking all that stuff. He's they guy that does it for a living not me.

I was at the cabin over the weekend, there is a ton of snow, we got at least 12" Saturday night.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run two Eagle cranks (4.25) and they were right on the money.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:21 PM
Registered

Travis, I just completed my 383's that we spoke of before. I used H-beam rods, and Clevite race bearings with no clearance problems what so ever. The bearings are chamfered at the crank sides and fit fine. What rods are you using?
Steve
Old 03-06-2002, 10:53 AM
Registered

thanks guys..

26scarab..... yeah my girlfreinds family was up there riding... So i got to spend alot of "alone" time with her at home LOL! BANG BANG LOL!! They said they had to dig the sleds out sunday morning they had so much snow. Talk to you later

P29scarab.. Thanks for the info, thats what I needed to hear.. I am using the H beam 3-D ESP w/ 7/16 ARP cap screws.. not a bad deal... they are $499 out of jegs and I got them for $365 from DYNO-FLO in vegas... I am ordering some Clevite "H" series rod bearings today... the shop need's them to balance the whole assembly...

Thanks again guys
Old 03-06-2002, 11:43 AM
jr

I had the same problems with the rod bearings not having enough clearance to the rad on the journal. I lucked out and was able to use Clevite Racing bearings that have a chamfer on the outside of the bearing. Of Course they cost 3 times as much.

Old 03-06-2002, 12:26 PM
Registered

Yup... clevite "H" series race bearing... just ordered from summit for $55 for rod bearings.