Want to supercharge my 454mag >

Want to supercharge my 454mag

Notices

Want to supercharge my 454mag

Old 09-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to supercharge my 454mag

I am new to offshoreonly forums so please direct me if this not the place to ask. I am wanting to supercharge my boat (26' Kachina w/ a 454 mag). Not sure on whether to get the whipple or procharger. My question is....am I going to blow my motor? Am I better off doing a engine swap? Any recommendations on who can install around the South West area and tune it right the first time. Hoping to find somebody out there thats done a supercharger on 454mag and can share their thoughts, ideas and experiences.... Bottom line is it well worth it, will I have to tinker with the boat all the time, can a bravo 1 drive withstand the power, or will the motor blow and have to replace it. I also would like to know what modifications are required to my existing motor prior to installing a supercharger. I know it all depends on how I drive it....but in my case it will be moderately and looking to gain a solid 10-15 miles more per hour @ 6000ft elevation. Right now its about a 53-55 mile/hr boat at 6000ft....63-65 close to sea level.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Registered

Ridin-Dirty,..

I've been doing alot of searches recently here on OSO about different build-ups for my 454. Seems like the reoccuring theme is to improve the exhaust first, then other modifications will yield larger improvements. The stock Merc mainfolds are the limiting factor. Exhaust upgrades are $$$ too if you get the good stuff.

Do some searches, and you might see that pattern too.

Joe
Old 09-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is a great bang for the buck. I slapped one on my 502 mag. The motor had 280 hours and upgraded head gaskets. It ran great.

You don't need to touch the exhaust unless you plan more mods. I speak from experience not just doing searches. I upgraded my exhaust after the Procharger and picked up ZERO mph. It did lower my boost somewhat and I picked up some throttle response. I would do it again but it is not a requirement.

15 mph might be a stretch but you should see 10 easy. I would think it is a great addition at altitude.

You will need to reprogram the ECU (no big deal at all), use a boost gauge, fuel pressure gauge and I would also recommend using a thermostatically cooled oil cooler.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went Whipplecharger 3 seasons ago on my 1999 502 mag. The Whipple kit is a clean package and really woke my boat up. I gained a solid 10-12 mph top end (4" increase in prop pitch) and the mid range acceleration is waaaaay better than stock. It felt like a completely different boat.
I would recommend that you upgrade your head gaskets (Cometic, Fel-Pro) and add a few gauges to your dash board (fuel pressure, oil temp, egt). Your ECU will need reprogrammed but I think Whipple can do that for you.
As far as the B1 goes, my Formula 271 weighs about 5500#. I make sure to be easy on the throttle. I ease out of the hole and I try to keep the drive in the water. So far I have been lucky. Others will tell you that no matter what you do, with the extra 150 HP it is just a matter of time before it goes.
Save your money on the exhaust unless you want to shed some weight and add some bling to your motor.
I live in the Southwest (Arizona) but would definately not recommend the shop that did mine.

My opinion: Whipplecharge it!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

We do both whipple & Prochargers.. Both are reliable & dont usually need any meadling with after they are PROPERLY installed. They do require routine maint, but its nothing obnoxious in my opinion. Starting off on a tight engine if you are adding one is important for longevity as is picking the installer. Other than that they can be fairly trouble free & turn key... I can get you either kit if youd like.. Jamie
Old 09-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS
We do both whipple & Prochargers.. Both are reliable & dont usually need any meadling with after they are PROPERLY installed. They do require routine maint, but its nothing obnoxious in my opinion. Starting off on a tight engine if you are adding one is important for longevity as is picking the installer. Other than that they can be fairly trouble free & turn key... I can get you either kit if youd like.. Jamie

The M-3 you got me is still going strong! It worked great with the stock 502 Mag setup.

Of course after a few seasons it was time to step it up a bit. That is what I liked about using a M-3 as the base setup.
Attached Thumbnails Want to supercharge my 454mag-motor.jpg  
Old 09-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Yes, I remember when you got that thing.. The m3 is a nice pick for the BB stuff. I must say it looks like you are getting your moneys worth out of it! Jamie
Old 09-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Registered

Grog... Is there anybody you would recommend in the area as far as installation or have your heard of any reputable shop/mechanics in the area?
Old 09-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Registered

I'm glad I am getting posts from people with REAL TIME supercharging experience. Many people have given me a sense of negativity on supercharging (mainly that I am going to blow the motor, longevity of the motor cut in half, blow the drive), and of course not one of them have a supercharger installed........I guess too scared from the horror stories.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ridin-Dirty
I'm glad I am getting posts from people with REAL TIME supercharging experience. Many people have given me a sense of negativity on supercharging (mainly that I am going to blow the motor, longevity of the motor cut in half, blow the drive), and of course not one of them have a supercharger installed........I guess too scared from the horror stories.

You can blow your motor up if you don't set it up right. It is really not that big of a deal though. Once you get it tuned it is turn key. I have lots of friends that have done them. Mine handles great around the docks.

I had to make a few calls to Jamie here on the 502 mag. All questions were answered quickly and then it was done.

I have some friends that have had great success with the Whipple as well.

I ran a 7,000 lb single engine boat for 3 seasons on a Bravo I. Take it wasy out of the hole and don't stuff the throttle. Long term the XR is the answer.

I would recommend buying from Jamie. With some dealers the support is not there. If you end up talking to Procharger, you will not be talking to someone that has set up as many as Jamie. It is better to have access to someone responsive and knowledgable on the phone.

Quick Reply: Want to supercharge my 454mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.