Notices

Wax it or not???

Old 03-07-2002, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no idea what it weighs. I would actually be curious to find out
Old 03-08-2002, 09:32 AM
B.R.S.

Bajarunner all those people who are 75-85 mph are lying! Figure most people add at least 10% to actual speed. Never believe them untill you run against em.

Old 03-08-2002, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the speed lost when the gps comes out is a similar ratio to weight loss of fish due to "cooler shrinkage" when they go from the cooler to the scale, something in the order of 10-15%.
Old 03-08-2002, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as waxing goes, it can do two things for sure (proven to me!!) It does make the bottom stay cleaner & easier to clean of any water stains. That's the positive side!

The negative side is:
It's a pain to keep it waxed as it comes off due to constant emersion.
It increases side slip tremendously in some boat (watch out for sharp turns- you may just "chine walk" (sideways) yourself out of the boat in a sharp turn at speed.
Iif it did increase your speed, it would be so small as to not be visible on the speedo....probable 10th's of a mile per hour.
Overall, not worth the effort. Just keep the bottom clean & your OK!
Old 03-08-2002, 12:18 PM
Registered

Originally posted by cuda
I think the speed lost when the gps comes out is a similar ratio to weight loss of fish due to "cooler shrinkage" when they go from the cooler to the scale, something in the order of 10-15%.
LMAO! No doubt about it!
Old 03-09-2002, 11:14 PM
Registered

Don't wax the bottom. It slows most boats down. I met a guy that lost 5mph from waxing his 38 Special. He thought he was having engine trouble it had slowed down so much.
When I bought my Fountain I was told not to wax that it would cost speed. Water beads on wax, which means its sticking to the surface. A friend coated an 18-foot Stingray with Rain-x. The boat picked up some MPH but was extremely slippery in tight turns. It wore off after a few weeks.
Dan
Old 03-11-2002, 08:17 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

To get an accurate weight of your exact boat; take it to your local dump or recycling center, and have them weight just the boat/trailer on the scale, (drop the tongue wheel and lift the weight off of your hitch). Even a truck-stop may can do this for you. Then return with just the trailer and do the same thing.

You can also use this technique to get an accurate tongue weight. Weight your boat/trailer as described above, and then hitch back up to your truck, and roll the rear tires of your truck just off the scale. What is left on the scale should just be your trailer wheels and the rest of the boat's weight. Subtract this and you have your tongue weight.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Re: Wax it or not???

There has to be something out there that will make you boat go faster. I've also heard that wax slows you down. You see the coating on the back 3 feet of the offshore cats what are they puttin on their bottoms?? Does anyone know?
Old 02-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

DOH!!! This being a 3 year old thread, I don't think any kind of wax or coating will catch up to it! Not even the "lilduce speed wax"!! It's gone.................
Old 02-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LOL I don't think we did enough research on this. Its back from the dead.

Quick Reply: Wax it or not???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.