base timing vs timing tables on mefi 3 or 4 >

base timing vs timing tables on mefi 3 or 4

Notices

base timing vs timing tables on mefi 3 or 4

Old 10-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I spoke with the provider of my mefi tuning program today and found out it does not support or show base timing/rpm setting so there is the reason why I cannot find it. I sent him a copy of the bin file as he was willing to look at it and tell me what my base timing/rpm setting is. I plan on setting a timing table to a set amount thru all kpa settings and running it up to verify how much timing the motor is actually getting as I do have a msd distributer,thanks for your help and advice,Smitty
Yes that would be good, also, once thats done, stick with either 8 or 10deg for base timing. I stick with 8 because thats what mercury called out, therefore dealers that may not know what we did, or can't get ahold of us, etc. can reasonably assume its set up just like stock, just supercharged. Then use the boost kpa spark tables to take your boost out. If your taking 4 for blower, then pick what boost, say 150kpa at put -4 then ramp it out by 105kpa. I like to then go into the upper boost table (if you have MEFI4+) and take some more out in case you change pulleys, you can still run on pump gas.

With a centrifugal, you can also help the torque using the boost spark table, at 1200 to 3600rpm, you can ramp in more timing which helps it accelerate harder. Hard to do all in base spark table because it effects off idle manuvering.

Dustin
Old 10-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

I've run into the whole MSD distrubutor not making the actual timing that was being commanded. I had one that was off by 5 deg at WOT. Had to go stand next to it on the dyno with it at WOT with a timing light. You really start to second guess yourself and start thinking "did I tighten everything" ???
Eddie
Old 10-04-2008, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I've run into the whole MSD distrubutor not making the actual timing that was being commanded. I had one that was off by 5 deg at WOT. Had to go stand next to it on the dyno with it at WOT with a timing light. You really start to second guess yourself and start thinking "did I tighten everything" ???
Eddie
I'm pretty sure mines not off that far if at all because we made excellent hp (1115 blown/657 N/A) on the dyno set the way it used to be (6 degrees base blown/10 degrees N/A) but I am going to verify it by doing what dustin reccomended-set a table to the same timing acrossed the map settings/rpm setting then powertime it. I hope its not getting as much as it needs so I can garner a few mph more out of it N/A.
I sent bin file to guy that sells mefi-burn and he e-mailed me back that its set at 8 degrees,my total timing then from the ecu and base IF distributer isn't running retarded should be 36 degrees (base timing is set to 6 degrees,ecu is set for 8 degrees base and table is set for 38 degrees above 5200 at 80 and 100 map). Motor runs perfect,it just feels awfully slow when you take the blower belt off and run with 400 to 450 less hp and speed drop from the century mark to mid 70's,Smitty
Old 01-07-2009, 03:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smitty, I was just reading this, and another thread from August or so...

I have been away from the board for a while, but I too have enjoyed using the mefiburn. I set up a pretty safe program last April and have not touched it since. I know I left a good bit of negative advance under boost to keep things mellow for now. I have been waiting to I upgrade my steering/drive before I get to aggressive with the programing. I am seriously considering an extra ecu for an n/a tune also.

I still have a little hesitation off idle, did you ever solve your flat spot off idle/1000rpm prob?

What is your total (corrected) timing under full boost? (only 6psi in my case)