oil line routing >

oil line routing

Notices

oil line routing

Old 10-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default oil line routing

i got a 502 mpi that just spun bearings pretty bad. After i pulled the motor out and was going over everything i found that the oil lines going into the remote oil filter housing were reversed. the feed was going in the middle of the filter and the return was coming out the outside. could this be part of the problem or the whole problem. I'm trying to decide if i should spring for new long blocks or just rebuild these if it was just an oil; line issue thanks
Old 10-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the same thing on one of the motors in a boat my cousin bought a few weeks ago. We had higher oil temps on that motor and after investigation found the reversed lines. We finally fired it up again tonight, had 55 psi cold with 15W40 Rotella motor oil in it. In his case supposedly the motor had been rebuilt not too long ago (first it was 10 hours, then it was 20 hours, last time we talked to the guy he said about 30 so who knows). We are thinking we are probably going to pull both of them and have them gone through over the winter, if they look good then we'll have them put back together.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by prostockcat
i got a 502 mpi that just spun bearings pretty bad. After i pulled the motor out and was going over everything i found that the oil lines going into the remote oil filter housing were reversed. the feed was going in the middle of the filter and the return was coming out the outside. could this be part of the problem or the whole problem. I'm trying to decide if i should spring for new long blocks or just rebuild these if it was just an oil; line issue thanks

Most oil filters have an anti drainback valve in them. It prevents the oil filter and related plumbing from emptying when the engine is turned off. If you plumb it backwards, this will prevent any oil from going through the filter or the oil cooler. All oil will go through the bypass in the filter pad on the block. It will kill the engine fast.

Without seeing your block, I can't tell you whether your block is rebuildable. In most cases, unless you have spun crank bearings, it is. A good mechanic will be able to tell you.