Oil Filter Relocation on 496 >

Oil Filter Relocation on 496

Notices

Oil Filter Relocation on 496

Old 10-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filter Relocation on 496

I have a pair of 496s in a Warlock cat and the port side engine has the stock location oil filter literally right against the hull of the boat. Movement of the hull relative to the engine has rubbed ~1/8" of gel off the inside and created stress cracks on the outside. Has anyone relocated their stock filter loaction or know of a kit that will either replace the hose assemblies and mount, or add a spin on adapter that will allow for the use of a remote mount?

I am kind of partial to the idea of a complete kit to replace the factory set up, however I'm not sure where on the block the stock hoses attach to. I do not have access to the back, outside corner of either block without pulling the motors.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Naughty Kitty
I have a pair of 496s in a Warlock cat and the port side engine has the stock location oil filter literally right against the hull of the boat. Movement of the hull relative to the engine has rubbed ~1/8" of gel off the inside and created stress cracks on the outside. Has anyone relocated their stock filter loaction or know of a kit that will either replace the hose assemblies and mount, or add a spin on adapter that will allow for the use of a remote mount?

I am kind of partial to the idea of a complete kit to replace the factory set up, however I'm not sure where on the block the stock hoses attach to. I do not have access to the back, outside corner of either block without pulling the motors.
My Father has this kit on his boat........

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bmk18.aspx

and next spring, I am going to put one on each of my 496ho's. It is fairly simple to install, and works great!
Old 10-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

eddie marine has the parts to do it as well using std oil filters
Old 10-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Registered

07 that is eexactly what I have been looking for...I do wonder if anyone makes the same style kit, but with hose fitting unions to avoid the use of an oil filter adapter block?

ezstrip, does eddie sell kits like amsoil, or do I need to piece it out?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

You can use the stock Mercury adaptor block that comes on the stock engine and just plumb it up to a remote filter head like the inexpensive ones from Fram or some of the nicer units from Eddie, Teague, Etc.
Mount it on the rear of the left cylinder head where there's some room now and run some new barbed fittings and proper hose from the oil cooler up to the filter and back to the block pan rail fitting and you're done.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 10-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Naughty Kitty
07 that is eexactly what I have been looking for...I do wonder if anyone makes the same style kit, but with hose fitting unions to avoid the use of an oil filter adapter block?

ezstrip, does eddie sell kits like amsoil, or do I need to piece it out?
My dad directly plumbed his in. I'm not mechanic, so, I couldn't tell you how to do it, but he did remove the regular oil filter plate and just directly ported the hoses into the line for a much cleaner look. He then mounted the whole system on the Port side of the engine bay. I'll see if I can get some pics of it, and I'll post them on here.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:57 AM
Registered

Thanks Ray & Dom