Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Time to add the whipple & Raylar parts to the 496HO >

Time to add the whipple & Raylar parts to the 496HO

Notices

Time to add the whipple & Raylar parts to the 496HO

Old 01-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have fallen behind on my post here at OSO. I am going to update my progress with some pictures and dates as things have progressed. I want to give a big thanks to Bob at Full Throttle Marine ( bobl on the boards) for all of his help in this project. I have been posting this on Performanceboats forum also under cats and tunnels.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Registered

This was from 10/23/08

Well I spent the weekend pulling the engine out. It looks like Mercury starts with a pile of crap on the floor and just bolts it on were ever it fits.

I spent the next couple of days tearing all the stuff off to deliver the long block to the engine shop this weekend.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Registered

These are a few more shots of the pile of parts off of the motor

Old 01-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Registered

The last step was to clean the bottom of the boat and send the whipple intake to the shop with the motor to go on the new long block.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Registered

This is from 11/25/08 The engine was at Full Throttle at this time.

I finally got back on the project this weekend. Hopefully the engine will be ready in the next week or so. While I am waiting I desided to install the new gauges and wiring. Its not very fun to cut holes in a new boat.
Old dash

Old 01-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Registered

This was from 12/9/08 The engine was still at full throttle

Well I finally got back on my project and got all the holes cut. I still need to run the wires etc before I tie the gauges down for good.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Registered

Jump to 1/23/09. The engine went thru the wrong parts blues for a while but, Once Bob got all the correct parts and got it assembled I was able to pick it up.

Well I got started this weekend. I first machined all the coil mounts and brackets off of the valve covers. I left one set for the Whipple throttle bracket. I have the Raylar coil relocate kit on the way. The kit moves them down low on the block. I spent most of the day sanding the block and ended up painting it Saturday night. I am still not sure on the color, you guys tell me what you think. I did a mockup with the blower and exhuast just to give it a little bling. I still need to paint all the accessories but if I am changing colors I did not want to paint them twice. My wife told me to roll with it.

Back from the shop

After paint

With a little bling

Old 01-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Registered

This brings me to todays status. I decided I did not like the blue and ordered new paint this morning. I will repaint by this weekend and get moving on the final assembly. Once it is together it will go back to Full Throttle for the Dyno runs.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

nice job!! i dont mind that blue, is it the same color as the hull? might be nice to match them maybe?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Registered

It is pretty close to the blue on the dash. My boat has so many fades you can almost pic a color of blue and match it. I desided on a grey because I have all the Russle black AN hose and fittings for all of the rigging. I think it will just look better.

Quick Reply: Time to add the whipple & Raylar parts to the 496HO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.