Time to add the whipple & Raylar parts to the 496HO >

Time to add the whipple & Raylar parts to the 496HO

Notices

Time to add the whipple & Raylar parts to the 496HO

Old 02-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 22 DAYTONA
Thanks for the info Ray. The Danas on my engine were, I believe to be the first set out of the box at Dana. My boat was used for the initial testing and possibly my motor too. I will call Dana and ask them about the riser size but I bet they wont trade.
This is a good time to also thank Ray, Bob, and Dustin for there help and for taking all the phone calls to make this a nice package.
Here is a video of the boat Dana did when testing. The 22 is at the end. Hey Ray i think you were around for this if I am not mistaken?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qThXGeJxkU
Here is a used set on ebay for a "buy it now" price of $250, not sure if they are what you are looking for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DANA-...spagenameZWD1V
Old 02-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jump to 1/23/09. The engine went thru the wrong parts blues for a while but, Once Bob got all the correct parts and got it assembled I was able to pick it up.

Well I got started this weekend. I first machined all the coil mounts and brackets off of the valve covers. I left one set for the Whipple throttle bracket. I have the Raylar coil relocate kit on the way. The kit moves them down low on the block. I spent most of the day sanding the block and ended up painting it Saturday night. I am still not sure on the color, you guys tell me what you think. I did a mockup with the blower and exhuast just to give it a little bling. I still need to paint all the accessories but if I am changing colors I did not want to paint them twice. My wife told me to roll with it.

Back from the shop

After paint

With a little bling

Looking good!!
Old 02-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I got a chance to make some good progress this weekend. I repainted the motor and accessories medium grey friday afternoon and force dryed it it with two blow heaters. I spent Saturday and Sunday on and off working on assembly. The new package is looking good. I am waiting on my Raylar parts and a oil cooler plus a few fittings to have it ready to dyno. I dropped the heat exchanger while getting ready to hang it for paint so I am looking for one of those today.

Make sure you push the grooved idler out, away from center more, the tensioner needs more room to take belt stretch out.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Registered

Those risers can actually be opened up without too much hassle. We can help you with that. It would run roughly $200.00.

Thanks,
Bob @ DMP
Old 02-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sure is great to see the manufacturers on here giving helpful advice on projects.

Way to go Dustin & way to go Bob !!

You guys are awsome

Chris
Old 02-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Registered

I agree, it is realy nice of these guys to pitch in on line so everyone learns. Thanks for the info Dustin, I have not set the tension on the belt yet because I wanted to make sure I could get the heat exchanger on without removing the blower. Thanks Bob, I will call you guys today.
Great news! I picked up the heat exchanger that I dropped, from the radiator shop this morning. Norm repared the damage on the end. It looks like new. Cost $30.00 bucks. Now I need to paint it. I think Raylars parts will be here today so I can get back after it.
By the way the blue paint on the engine is Corvette Jet Stream Blue. The grey is a Mercedes grey. Both colors were actually mixed in enamel and injected into a spray can to make it easy to deal with. I think it cost about $75.00 for four cans mixed at my local auto paint store.

Last edited by 22 DAYTONA; 02-04-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Registered

Nice job!! That paint will hold up to the heat and wear? I am thinking of painting mine while it is out also but did not want to put too much time into prep.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Registered

Valve covers man, valve covers!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reminder. Ray be sure and send your valve cover plates when you send the computer bracket. I got the coil reloctate kit today. The normal big block valve covers wont fit on these motors.
I have painted normal car engines with automotive paint for years on street rods with no problems later. The marine blocks will work even better because of the cooled exhaust. I wipe them down several times with a prepsol or wax and grease remover first. I then scuff the block and heads with a red Scotchbright pad. Any bare metal a prime with a self etching primer out of a spray can. Then I apply about three coats of the auto paint color of your choice out of a spray can. I have also done these with a true spray gun and clear coat but, it is just alot of work for a motor.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Banned

Who made those headers? Do you like them? Did you try any others?

Quick Reply: Time to add the whipple & Raylar parts to the 496HO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.