Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Time to add the whipple & Raylar parts to the 496HO >

Time to add the whipple & Raylar parts to the 496HO

Notices

Time to add the whipple & Raylar parts to the 496HO

Old 02-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well while I have been waiting on my oil cooler and a couple of other fittings along with my computer relocation bracket from Raylar, I upgraded the engine compartment a little. I relocated the shifter bracket and installed all new 10AN fuel lines along with a fuel water seperator. Here are a few pics of the progress. The lines are not tied down yet and the pump is not bolted down. I am also waiting on my diamond plate floor pieces.

This is what it looks like with the tank covers on.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Registered

Well I spent the weekend fabbing mounting brackets for the oil cooler and finding a place for Rayalr's computer bracket to fit. Like some on another forum suggested, it wont work with the Whipple intake without modifications. I moved it around and drilled alot of holes but I finally found a place it would work for me. After the final resting place was found, I installed the coil mounting brackets for good and reinstalled the exhaust. The final real pain in the ass was to tear apart Mercury's wiring harness and try to make it look decent. What a phucking mess. I am still not finished but you can see were it is headed.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Daytona 22

I am curious why our Raylar ECM bracket won't fit behind the left rear cylinder head where we originally designed it to go. From your pictures I can't see what on the Whipple kit would really interfer with mounting it there? Just curious for future customers and installations.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 02-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Registered

Hey Ray, the Whipple intake sticks out beyond the head on that side. I can get you some measurements if needed. I believe it comes across the back of the motor flat and does not cut out for the offset of the chevy heads. I could have made the bracket work on that side but, is was hitting my oil cooler at that angle anyway so, I just moved it. The bracket still works great, its the Mercury wiring that sucks. They need a harness for boats that dont use all the extra smart craft sensors etc. I am going to end up with a wad of wires tie wrapped in the back and that pisses me off.
By the way Ray, what do you glue the valve cover plates down with?

Last edited by 22 DAYTONA; 02-23-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Registered

Well as usual for my projects, everything has been slow. I got real busy at work, (thankfully) and did not get to play much for a few weeks. I finally got back on it last week and made some good progress. I tried to keep everything that was ugly on the back of the motor. This led to alot of fabrication but, I think it will be worth it. I have finished mounting all the components and now, I am just working on plumbing. I finished the water lines last night. I had to order a oil filter adapter to use bigger 1/2 oil lines. The adapter will be here today and I think I will finish the motor by the weekend. I shot some pics Sunday night. I will shoot some more when complete. What do you think?
I hate the fill bottle so, I am looking for a replacement or worst case, a chrome cover.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Registered

Great work
Old 03-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Registered

Ok I think I am dyno ready. I spent the weekend on a few final things. Like every project I take on, it takes for ever. I replaced every Mercury hose except the main heat exchanger hose. I also upgraded every hose clamp with the euro style clamp that gets tight. I had my overflow bottle carbonfibered and have billet lids coming for it, and the power steering bottle. All the hoses on the blower, and, the fuel system are AN except one vaccume line. The oil system has been upgraded and the filter moved to the bottom of the block. The oil cooler is double size and includes the power steering cooler. All the wiring was stripped of Mercury crap wrap and recovered with Russle sleaving. The wiring was also hidden as much as possible. From the front you cannot tell it has wires on it. The back of the engine turned out to be very busy but, in my boat you wont see it. I wanted all of the components on the engine so it would be easy to disconnect and reconect if needed. I shot some close ups this time to show where all of my plumbing runs. I think it will look damn mean in the boat. I hope it dynos as good as it looks.
Dusting has sent two more pulleys for the dyno run so, I should be able to max it out if the rods stay in. I will post the dyno numbers asap when finished. I hope to go to Austin Sunday and run it Monday if that is ok with Bob at Full Throttle Marine.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Registered

A few more close up pics.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I didn't get back with you today, but Monday sounds good. I'll reserve it for you.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Registered

Thanks Bob I will see you then.

Quick Reply: Time to add the whipple & Raylar parts to the 496HO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.