Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
I need help with jetting and PV (509ci, 8-71, dual 800cfm, 825HP) >

I need help with jetting and PV (509ci, 8-71, dual 800cfm, 825HP)

Notices

I need help with jetting and PV (509ci, 8-71, dual 800cfm, 825HP)

Old 10-28-2008, 04:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Your boost will pressures will definately go up when the prop hooks up more. Mine went up almost 2# from 6# to almost 8# when I added another inch of drive spacer to lower the propslip. Your AF ratio's and EGT's might change also since there will be more load on the engine. I would take that into consideration before making a lot of changes. Its plenty safe now as long as you're not washing the cylinders with fuel and dilluting the oil too much. You may want to try and get a prop that hooks up better before you do any major adjustments.
Yes of course. I will have to extend my tests to wot to begin with. I have about 6.5 hours on the drive right now so it's getting ready for a couple wot passes. I'm logging everything during the tests so I have something to look back on when I'm done or switching prop etc.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John B
I don't know why people run boost referenced power valves on all these applications.John B

The answer is very simple in certain applications you can start to have boost below the supercharger (requiring more fuel) but yet still have vacuum on top of the supercharger which keeps the carburetors lean. For the majority of people it's a much simpler and safer solution to boost reference the power valves to prevent any potential issues.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rum Runner, This is true but 0 boost, under the blower, is usually 4-6 inches under the carburetor. The lowest power valve opening point is 2.5 inches. Therefore the power valve referenced below the carb will open well before you actually go into boost. That is why reading both values is worthwhile, then determine where to reference and when to add enrichment. He has the ability to read his exhaust temperature, which makes this easy.
good post, John B
Old 10-30-2008, 05:36 AM
Banned

I personally like progressive linkage. Only in drag race competition engines do I run a 1:1 ratio . The progressive linkage will keep the engine way "cleaner" under cruising conditions.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by John B
Rum Runner, This is true but 0 boost, under the blower, is usually 4-6 inches under the carburetor. The lowest power valve opening point is 2.5 inches. Therefore the power valve referenced below the carb will open well before you actually go into boost. That is why reading both values is worthwhile, then determine where to reference and when to add enrichment. He has the ability to read his exhaust temperature, which makes this easy.
good post, John B
You can also getting into a situation with Hi Boost applications where you'll start to build vacuum under the carburetor(s) at WOT, or in situations of rapid on and off of the throttle. It's just safer to run the PV externally referenced in most applications.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
I personally like progressive linkage. Only in drag race competition engines do I run a 1:1 ratio . The progressive linkage will keep the engine way "cleaner" under cruising conditions.

Deano,

With sideways mounted carburetors that run the progressive linkage and a lot of part throttle usage you'll actually see a difference in the bearing life from side to side on the engine. Running the dual PV's and tuning the transfer circuits to run clean takes care of any cruising problems. Hope you're getting somewhere on your 500" deal (I've got some new toys for them)
Old 10-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RumRunner
You can also getting into a situation with Hi Boost applications where you'll start to build vacuum under the carburetor(s) at WOT, or in situations of rapid on and off of the throttle. It's just safer to run the PV externally referenced in most applications.

I had a twin turbo motor that would have 5 inches of vacumm under the carb and 4 lbs of boost in the intake when not under wot.