msd or crane box ??? >

msd or crane box ???

Notices

msd or crane box ???

Old 10-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same thing?

I just received my hi6-m after waiting 6 months (ny area)
I took the rotor to my machine shop 3 days and $65 later I installed it it the boat an now it pings pretty bad ran fine all summer. Yes we timed it.(snap-on timing light an a Mechanic with 30 years in the trade) tried different curves went thru the check list. faQ's (I'm also using the merc hall effect distributor for the same reason)
My machine shop would like to talk to crane about the 35 degree rotor phase (is thinking maybe design change have been made with no updates to the paper work?
Is this the same problem for you
Old 10-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,894 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by alecsammy
Hello,

I have a thunderbolt four distrubitor in great shape and tried several times to move the rotor 35 degrees several times it comes very close but I'm not sure if its 35 degrees or not. I talked with crane and of course they never heard of any problems . so I was thinking to change to a MSD box or just a msd all in one distrubitor. any suggestions. Thanks

The directions should have the template for drilling the holes. The directions are also downloadable off the Crane website.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I down loaded the template from the Crane site, cut it out, and used 3M spray adhesive to stick the paper cut out to the rotor wheel. Then used a center punch to locate the new holes, and drilled the wheel, per the Crane spec/sizes. I have the wheel centered to what I'd call "very very close", but it ain't perfect. Feeler guage says it's a few thou off.

I bought my Crane box from an outfit in Texas. When I was talking with the guy (who btw builds/dynos marine engines) I asked if he'd mod a wheel for me, and I'd pay him for it. He said no problem. Been a couple of years but I think he whacked me like $25.00 for the mod'd wheel. I put the (his) wheel/rotor in the distributor, and the holes were so far off one side of the wheel rubbed on the senser in the distributer. Shiddy job on his part.........

That said, it wouldn't take much on Crane's part (or maybe a small fabricating or machine shop) to provide modified wheels for the Hall affect Merc distributor. Regardless, nice thing is, you can move the wheel from rotor to rotor, when it's time for a new cap/rotor.

I would mention, the guy that assembled my 557 tried to talk me into going MSD. He told me he's put MSD's in a shidt load of boat engine builds, and has had no problems with them. Guess it's the luck of the draw??
Old 11-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by code blue
I just received my hi6-m after waiting 6 months (ny area)
I took the rotor to my machine shop 3 days and $65 later I installed it it the boat an now it pings pretty bad ran fine all summer. Yes we timed it.(snap-on timing light an a Mechanic with 30 years in the trade) tried different curves went thru the check list. faQ's (I'm also using the merc hall effect distributor for the same reason)
My machine shop would like to talk to crane about the 35 degree rotor phase (is thinking maybe design change have been made with no updates to the paper work?
Is this the same problem for you
Any updates on the this setup?

Thanks
Old 11-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
I would go with the MSD.
I would go with the MSD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Registered

Default it's going back!!!

:
Originally Posted by Nordicflame
Any updates on the this setup?

Thanks
It's that time of year in the northeast again. I haven't had time to take the boat out since. I have a complete setup now for tuning the carb (duel air/fuel ratio, jets, etc. etc ) I think it might be leaner now burning more fuel with a better spark. Well I go to winterize it and guess what! It won't even start.Went inside put on warmer coat go back out I check the lights. Led lights up then dims showing power but no light blinkin when crankin so that indicates no signal from the hall effect dist. Go back in (for a warm hat) I ordered a new replacement signal unit from merc put that in still no blinkin lights when crankin. Go thru check every connection (3 times) check the dials on the box multiple times. Turned them checked rpm ( which did work) reset tried again. Went inside put on carhart coveralls an gloves went back out and winterized it the hard way with out the boat running. Broke ice off mustach then proceded to remove crane hi-6m unit from boat that I so loving and with great care installed in my boat after waiting so long for.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:22 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,173 Likes on 1,431 Posts

I've used the GM External Coil HEI distributor (found on GM Trucks 87-95 TBI and also Merc EFi engines like the 502MPI) with the Crane Box. Good news is that these distributors are halfway cheap. I think $140 new from GM ?

Bypass it's module and just connect it's magnetic pick up to the Crane Box. Shazaam !
Old 11-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Registered

Nice, clean and simple.
Everything in one package. $319
http://www.performancedistributors.com/marinedui.htm
Old 11-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Noise Pollution
Nice, clean and simple.
Everything in one package. $319
http://www.performancedistributors.com/marinedui.htm
Are they on sale? The site says $385.

Have you tried one of these?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 11-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Gold Member

Default msd

msn simply because they are more popular around here vs crane.

Quick Reply: msd or crane box ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.