Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
good intake for dart heads ??? >

good intake for dart heads ???

Notices

good intake for dart heads ???

Old 10-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please feel free to give me a call to discuss you engine needs. or PM me for details. I am a WD for all. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Put a different one on each engine and see which one spins faster. THen you will have your answer.

I know it doesn't sound very scientific, but the boat is the best dyno that you can have.

ANyway. I am probably the only one crazy enough to try that.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,895 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by BowenCT
Good question; 454mags. Gil Offshore exhaust, stock cam. 93 oct.

You would most likely gain more with a cam change than an intake swap.

What did you mean by NGK "hot" plugs????? You should be running a stock heat range with maybe an extended tip.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keith Wilson at Wilson Manifolds worked on both our Brodix and Merlin intakes. He said that the Merlin was going to be the best preforming manifold in the boat. Wilson said prior to the our dyno work that the Brodix was too big (too much volume) and would be "lazy" in the boat vs the Merlin. Both would likely be similar on the dyno...which they were.
In the boat comparison testing would be pretty expensive/time consuming to measure...especially on a twin application. Wilson had no axe to grind as he gets paid for his work and didn't sell either product. We shipped our manifolds to them.
Keith's primary business is manifolds and they support all the way to the NASCAR Cup level. Couple all this with the Merlin brass insert and a similar price point and the choice is clear....it was to us.
Unless Dart's BBC single plane manifold is different than the one they sold in the mid 90's, they aren't in the same league as the Brodix or the new Merlin.
Still not convinced? We may still have some custom Brodix's on the shelf...if we do, how about Jeg's price less $100 and no frt.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
Keith Wilson at Wilson Manifolds worked on both our Brodix and Merlin intakes. He said that the Merlin was going to be the best preforming manifold in the boat. Wilson said prior to the our dyno work that the Brodix was too big (too much volume) and would be "lazy" in the boat vs the Merlin. Both would likely be similar on the dyno...which they were.
In the boat comparison testing would be pretty expensive/time consuming to measure...especially on a twin application. Wilson had no axe to grind as he gets paid for his work and didn't sell either product. We shipped our manifolds to them.
Keith's primary business is manifolds and they support all the way to the NASCAR Cup level. Couple all this with the Merlin brass insert and a similar price point and the choice is clear....it was to us.
Unless Dart's BBC single plane manifold is different than the one they sold in the mid 90's, they aren't in the same league as the Brodix or the new Merlin.
Still not convinced? We may still have some custom Brodix's on the shelf...if we do, how about Jeg's price less $100 and no frt.
On what size engine?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
I'd be interested in one of those Brodix's for that deal. Let me know where to send the $$.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jeff,
500 +/- CI. Max 6800 RPM. Pretty flat torque curve from 4500-6800 RPM.
I am checking on what we have on Brodix, will post tomorrow.
Ben
Old 10-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here is a better deal as we don't have any separate Brodix intakes left.
We do have a set of Sonny Leonard ported Dart Iron Eagle 308's. These heads mate to a Brodix HV-2001 intake ported, and port matched at Sonny's. The intake is free ($800 invested).
These SL Dart IE ported heads approx 320 cc intake runners. This NA combo was dyno tested at Keith Eickerts at 750+ HP on 499 CI with CMI E-Tops....proven marine based flow & results.
This could be ideal set-up on a stock 502 Merc because of the flat top pistons. I can double check, but I am pretty sure with these IE milled heads (105 cc chambers) installed on the on the stock Merc 502 you will have less than 9.5 to 1 CR. Mine was set at about 9.3 to 1 but the pistons were custom. Whats invested?

Dart 308 bare heads $865
Sonny Leonard porting $1200
Del West 2.30 titanium valves $856
Manley 1.88 inconel exh valves $323
Isky 9985 springs $408
Titanium retainers $323
Head set up, milling, valve job $250
Misc $200

Total invested $4425+

Total intake and head package $2200 (ready to bolt on)
Old 11-01-2008, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is some serious horsepower for N/A sub 500" motor. What cam was that with and what kind of RPM's was it turning?
Old 11-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My combination isn't really very important. What is important as this cast iron and head and intake combination can deliver enough air to support 800+ NA HP on pump gas. You can spec your cam to get a nice flat torque curve to achieve the RPM and HP you want. The relatively small cc heads also offer excellent acceleration. This head and intake combination is the result of years of racing, dyno and in the water testing. Involved to one degree or another have been 9 engine builders, 6 head porters and multiple efforts on the intake manifold. All got paid, but some have helped more than others!

Quick Reply: good intake for dart heads ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.