Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Msd - Yes Or No >

Msd - Yes Or No

Notices

Msd - Yes Or No

Old 12-13-2008, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a mallory unilite, no box works great, easy to set advance curve or lock out....even tried it in my top sportsman race car when I was having MSD issues, car ran faster than it ever did with all of the "trick Msd" stuff...so all that went on ebay !!! the only part that can fail is a module ($35.00) and easy change if needed.....no more boxes on boats for me....they make NO differnce in speed what so ever !!!!
Old 12-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,967 Likes on 988 Posts

I've run unilite in cars before. Do they make one that is USCG approved??????
Old 12-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran a DUI ign and no problems the boat did run better than it did stock
Old 12-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Registered

Myself and three other friends are using these. Nice, clean setup.
http://www.performancedistributors.com/marinedui.htm
Old 12-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
I've run unilite in cars before. Do they make one that is USCG approved??????
Summint has one, but its a pretty price - $657
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 12-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
I'd just use the stock ignition unless you have problems with it. If you are fouling plugs at idle, switch to Crane HI 6Mbox and continue using your distributor.
I think that is good advice right there!

The only reason why I run an ignition box (Crane Hi-6M) is because of the multiple spark they provide at idle speeds to keep the plugs from fouling out.

I use an MSD crank trigger system because they provide stable/accurate timing at all RPMs....and because they eliminate the need of the magnetic pick-up used inside the MSD distributor---they're always rusting out.

That DUI distributor looks like a nice unit. The MSD and Crane ignition box have multispard ignition at idle speeds---does anyone know if there is any real bennefit to the DUI over the MSD or Crand ignition box??? Can the DUI be connected to an ignition box???
Old 12-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to put MSD on all my engines, Now I just use them when I have them, or when I am getting crazy with a lot of boost. For what you are wanting to do, you can use your Merc TBIV with no problems.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 126 Likes on 36 Posts

I was thinking the double spark would be good since i do have to idle in and out of no wake alot. But if it is not needed i am all for it saves me 800.00
Old 12-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ubet28
I was thinking the double spark would be good since i do have to idle in and out of no wake alot. But if it is not needed i am all for it saves me 800.00
If it doesn't work right, then you can always add just the box and coil.

People always blame idle quality on the carb, or the ignition, of the cam.

It is a combination of everything, just like the engine. The tune up is half of the engine. You can spend all the moneyin the world and a bad tune up will hand grenade it, and you can spend a ton of money on ignition and carb, and if you can't adjust it, it is still junk.

Just take your time and consult some of the big reputable builders before you buy anything. Don't think that you have to buy a part because it is a good deal, I have shelves and shelves full of good deals, and none of the stuff works with any of the other stuff I have on the shelf, so that is what I have, A shelf full of killer deals that I can't really do anything with.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 126 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
If it doesn't work right, then you can always add just the box and coil.

People always blame idle quality on the carb, or the ignition, of the cam.

It is a combination of everything, just like the engine. The tune up is half of the engine. You can spend all the moneyin the world and a bad tune up will hand grenade it, and you can spend a ton of money on ignition and carb, and if you can't adjust it, it is still junk.

Just take your time and consult some of the big reputable builders before you buy anything. Don't think that you have to buy a part because it is a good deal, I have shelves and shelves full of good deals, and none of the stuff works with any of the other stuff I have on the shelf, so that is what I have, A shelf full of killer deals that I can't really do anything with.
LOL well put.

I am having a hard time trusting people that are trying to sell me something write now dew to the whole screw job on the motor. I feel like i can trust most of the oso community except for the jack ass that sold me the motor.

Quick Reply: Msd - Yes Or No

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.