How does this bell housing look? >

How does this bell housing look?

Notices

How does this bell housing look?

Old 03-13-2002, 08:22 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does this bell housing look?

I am in the process of upgrading my drives. I removed them and this is what it looks like. Does this look normal? what do you do to prepair for the new drives. I figured I would clean up all the grease and grime but it looks like ther was some black paint on the surface and a little corrosion. Should the surface be re finished or just brushed clean? How much should I worry about this?
Attached Thumbnails How does this bell housing look?-bellhousing.jpg  
Old 03-13-2002, 09:07 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It all looks totally normal to me. If you want to you can scrape the surface with a razor blade to clean it up real quick that is what I ussually do. I would put my fingures in the bearing and spin it feel for any roughness in the bearing. Other then that grease it up and put her back together
Old 03-13-2002, 09:36 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Somewhat round, Black and kinda greasy

Sorry you asked
Old 03-13-2002, 09:38 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

It does look fine I would move it around and make sure the pins or whatever there called don't have to much slop. Plus like Jon said stivk your hand in there and check the bearing. YuK!
Old 03-13-2002, 09:45 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto-most of that surface does not really seal critically so a light cleanup is fine. If you find any roughness at all in the gimble bearing do yourself a favor and replace it NOW! It absolutely sucks to have it seize or start screaming on Saturday morning at 10 AM(O.K. maybe noon )
Old 03-13-2002, 10:46 AM
Registered

Well the one thing I would have to disagree about is that the surface is not a critical seal. Clean the areas where the gasket with a razor blade really good. I usually also coat the area with a thin layer of gasket sealer, then put the gasket on, and coat the gasket on the side that is exposed (where the drive will meet the gasket with a thin layer of gasket sealer also. If any water gets in there it will waste out that bearing in a very short time.

My .02

Ted
Old 03-13-2002, 11:34 AM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

Just be sure to replace all the orings with new. And clean out the grooves where the orings set into. The only critical seals are where those o-rings are. Just incase you don't know there is a large thick o-ring that goes around the drive shaft housing on the drive itself. You can go to your local Merc dealer and get a Bravo gasket kit, that includes all orings for remounting the drive.

After checking the bearing check the drive shaft bellows and shift cable bellows for dried/cracked spots. Also, those two SS nuts at the top of the housing should be torqued to 50 lbft.

Eric
Old 03-13-2002, 06:34 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can tell it is not a "critical" (pressure) seal because Merc did not worry about overspray in that area. The gasket helps to properly position the drive on the "critical seals" which are the o-rings and that big one that seals the gimble bearing area.
Old 03-13-2002, 06:37 PM
Registered

Well, I always make there is a good seal even to the gasket in case one of the O-rings doesn't seal properly. Better safe than sorry...

Ted
Old 03-13-2002, 06:51 PM
Registered

I agree with the above answers but make sure when you check the bearing that you spin it & it feels smooth. If it feels rough, it's easier to replace now then later. Same goes with the bellow

Quick Reply: How does this bell housing look?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.