Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
standard crane or summitt roller rocker??? >

standard crane or summitt roller rocker???

Notices

standard crane or summitt roller rocker???

Old 01-11-2009, 01:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crower or comp cam by far. Whatever you do make sure it's at least a full roller. Full stainless is what I used to run. I never had a problem at all with them. I have had them in a lot of different engines and different types of setups from nitrous to blowers, drag to street cars, etc. I have since switched to Jesel. They are the best, but costly. The sportsman aren't good though so it all or nothing with them. I haven't ever run the cranes, but I got a set with heads I bought. The machine shop told me they aren't good and told me to sell them or throw them away. If I remember it was a problem with the roller and the body.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PJ,
They be made for summitt but they are different look at the pin that holds the roller in , it has little lines on the end of the shaft the summit brand is completely smooth no groves.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Registered

I debated this very subject when I was building my 509 last winter. After a lot of research I decided to go with the Summit rockers and have no regrets. They are American Made and have held up well. They are nothing like the Chinese Procomp rockers. Having said that, the Cranes are a proven design if you want to minimize your chances of a failure. However, nothing is guaranteed in a performance environment. I also believe research can only go so far, and after that there's only one way to find out! That's how things become proven.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HotPursuit
Maybe you should go remote control!! You asked a question and a 100% of the replys have been dont go summit!! You asked a question a dont like the answers,not to be a smart a** but why ask if you have your mind made up. FYI the bleeding has just started,welcome to the performance boating world.
BOAT = BRING ON A NOTHER THOUSAND.
Actually, I wasn't one that asked, I just chimed in because I am in the process of complete rebuilds, of which I chose the summit rockers after research.

So, my mind was made up WELL before this OTHER guy asked the question.

Truth of the matter is, this whole conversation is very typical of the on line forums. Put it this way, if someone pays top dollar for something, you really think they are going to just say: "sure, go a ahead and save a bunch of cash, they cheaper part will probably work just fine for your application"

HELL NO! It's human nature. If I buy the absolute best (most expensive) of something I'd probably respond the same way, "anything else is JUNK, you really need to drop massive coin like I did to really be sure.............."
Old 01-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PJDiesel
Actually, I wasn't one that asked, I just chimed in because I am in the process of complete rebuilds, of which I chose the summit rockers after research.

So, my mind was made up WELL before this OTHER guy asked the question.

Truth of the matter is, this whole conversation is very typical of the on line forums. Put it this way, if someone pays top dollar for something, you really think they are going to just say: "sure, go a ahead and save a bunch of cash, they cheaper part will probably work just fine for your application"

HELL NO! It's human nature. If I buy the absolute best (most expensive) of something I'd probably respond the same way, "anything else is JUNK, you really need to drop massive coin like I did to really be sure.............."
30 yrs 6 performance hulls in the triple digits,20 yrs running super chargers, thats typical online forums !!
I could give a rats a** buy the cheap made in china crap and lets see how they hold up..BTW I have learned the hard way,fast and cheap have no place in a marine engine of any HP. What amazes me is the same person that cheaps out on internal engine parts will spend 1,000 of$$$$ on a stereo system or some other bling and will B*tch about his new rebuild when it fails.
Most hardcore engine builders use what they now works and dont listen to the boat owner because his name is on that engine once he builds it. I dont agree with your research but the best of luck with the Few $$ ya saved.

Last edited by HotPursuit; 01-18-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HotPursuit
30 yrs 6 performance hulls in the triple digits,20 yrs running super chargers, thats typical online forums !!
I could give a rats a** buy the cheap made in china crap and lets see how they hold up..BTW I have learned the hard way,fast and cheap have no place in a marine engine of any HP. What amazes me is the same person that cheaps out on internal engine parts will spend 1,000 of$$$$ on a stereo system or some other bling and will ***** about his new rebuild when it fails.
Most hardcore engine builders use what they now works and dont listen to the boat owner because his name is on that engine once he builds it. I dont agree with your research but the best of luck with the Few $$ ya saved.
We found out the same way , Cheep does NOT WORK !!!! Best of luck to him .
Old 01-19-2009, 03:32 AM
Registered

I have had Crane in everything performance motor I've own except once...guess what happen.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Registered

BTW, who said the OP was building a "performance" motor?

I didn't read that part.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Made in the USA or assembled in the USA.

My motors have the Crower alum and steel ones,Crane golds ,Lunita alum, and Harlem Sharps.Never broke any.

Thats like Crane lifter/tappets are assembled at Crane,someone like Eaton makes some of the parts/body's that go into building the tappet.

Also some may tell you its USA,how can you prove it?

?
http://www.shop.speedunlimited.com/S...d/0/rid/126429

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Registered

Haven't come apart yet. I made it from the dock, two 25 minute runs, back to the dock.

So far so good.

Quick Reply: standard crane or summitt roller rocker???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.