Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
standard crane or summitt roller rocker??? >

standard crane or summitt roller rocker???

Notices

standard crane or summitt roller rocker???

Old 12-28-2008, 05:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default standard crane or summitt roller rocker???

Has anyone ran the summit brand roller rocker for a big block chevy. I tring to decide on the cheaper pair of cranes race gold rollers or the summitt brand. Any suggestions Thanks Alec
Old 12-28-2008, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats a good question, their brand probably chinese, I did run a set of those a couple of years ago in a jet boat that i was playing with, but never put many hours on there..never had a failure, but I do run the gold cranes now....but years ago when I ran a super gas car I had issues with the gold cranes roller pin failing..on sevral rockers....using them now and no issues ?? so I guess talked a lot..told you nothing..Rob
Old 12-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would stick with the cranes, unless we found out who made the summit brand, there are some cheaper knockoffs out there that have cheap needle bearings and dont last long
Old 12-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Registered

I know they are more expensive, but think hard about the time and money spent building these engines, and the true investimet you have. Crower and Comp. cams carry a life time warranty for their top of the line rockers. You might even look into some of Jesel's stuff they had some I thought were reasonably priced.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Registered

I have read that the Summits are built by Scorpion, made in the USA.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,903 Likes on 956 Posts

I used the Summit rockers in my 454mag that was hopped up to about 420hp. I ran them for about 125 hrs and the next owner ran them for a couple seasons after that. No problems that I know of. That being said, I probably wouldn't run them on anything more than about 500hp.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by alecsammy
Has anyone ran the summit brand roller rocker for a big block chevy. I tring to decide on the cheaper pair of cranes race gold rollers or the summitt brand. Any suggestions Thanks Alec
I am not the expert but I think it also depends on what type of cam, how much lift and spring pressure you are running along with max RPM. Harland Sharp makes a good set in my opinion also for the money.

What is the motor these will be going in?
Old 12-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Registered

I put ohio crank roller rockers, the builder said they were great, NOT , broke one on right bank and one on the left bank, just broke in the middle . know have crane gold work great . Dont go cheap it bits you
Old 12-28-2008, 05:06 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

If you want, I have 2 sets of used Crane Gold wide body rockers. 7/16" studs, 1.7 ratio, clearanced for Big Block valve covers. They came stock on a pair of 575 SCi that I am rebuilding. They had 300 hours on them. They were replaced soley because we were in there, for insurance. The rollers roll fine, no visible signs of wear. $150 takes 1 set. We called Crane when we replaced them. They said they dont make this exact rocker anymore. The part # they sent in its replacement is 13750. I was going to put them on E-Bay soon.
A little disclaimer... We all know how important rocker arms are for an engine. We all know what happens when they break. With that said, although they seem fine, they are used. NO guarantee..
Attached Thumbnails standard crane or summitt roller rocker???-rockers.jpg  
Old 12-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Registered

Crane Comp or Crower, Don't go cheep I tried that in a small block and it does not work. I used Proform rockers and push rods they look allot like Summit stuff. After 40 hours a rocker broke and three push rods had lost tips and they say that they are one piece push rods. You will save money in the long run. Just my $0.02

Quick Reply: standard crane or summitt roller rocker???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.