Anyone use a pre-luber?

Notices

Anyone use a pre-luber?

Old 03-15-2002, 08:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use a pre-luber?

I am looking into a pre luber. Do you think it makes sense or is it a waste on money? It would seem to me that the amount of wear would be less on a boat engine because you simply dont stop and start as many times as an automobile. Any opinions?

Also would the filter bracket be a good spot to hook it up?
Attached Thumbnails Anyone use a pre-luber?-oilfilter.jpg  
Old 03-15-2002, 08:18 PM
Registered

Awesome photos, sorry to digress but your boat's the most detail oriented I've seen apart from racing boats.

From an engineer's point of view, I think the wear is negligible at start up (load and heat factors at a minimum). When evaluating bearing materials, the PV (pressure-load and velocity) factor is evaluated. These factors are minimal during the start of an IC engine during start up. The Pre Lube concept seems like sound wisdom, but is probably overkill. Beef up your outdrives instead.
Old 03-15-2002, 11:22 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Raypanic,
I run a Preluber.. It may be a bit of over kill, but it sure makes the oil change job so much easier.. I used a quick disconnect from a snow plow to plumb the return line back into the filter pad (the unused port on you pad in the picture). The input to the pump is in the oil pan drain plug. So when I drain it I get all the oil from the pan.. When I bought the Preluber the original company that designed it made it. The controll box didnt always work like it was designed.. So I eliminated it and used a switch.. Well I forgot one time and ran the pump for twent mins and the brush plate got real hot.. I was able to free the brushes and it still works, but I decided to replace it with the new pump from the new company that bought Preluber..
Long story short.. I wired the new pump with out the control.. use a lighted switch and it works fine... They will sell just the pump but you miss a few fittings and hose.. I ended up with different hardware anyway.. The quick disconnect that came with the original pump didnt have shut off type disconnects. Thats why I use the one from the snow plow.. LOL. Works great. I just plug an extension hose to it and drain away.. 12 qts in just few mins..
I always use the pump to prelube unless the motor has been shut down for just a few mins..
Thats what I have experienced.. Hope it helps..
Oh yeah there was a thread on it awhile back.. some other pumps were mentioned.. Check it out..

Dick
Old 03-16-2002, 02:44 AM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

I just mounted mine yesterday. anything to help out on the life of the motor is worth the $$$ It is said the 70% of engine ware is at cold start up. especially on a marine application were it might only start up once a week. and then sit for a few moths. that enough time for most of the oil to drain down and cause a dry start.
Old 03-16-2002, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like Mr. Gadgets, I had an original Preluber from an old truck. Put it in the boat last year (with a toggle switch) when I installed my new motor. For the discharge, I used the port on the oil filter bracket, and for the suction , used the "oil drain" hose that was attached to the oil pan (supplied by Mercruiser on the newer motors). Had to adapt the threads to make it all fit, but now when I change the oil, I'm pulling it directly from the pan.
Another thing- the hoses that were originally supplied with those older Preluber models did not hold up very well. I had new hi-pressure pneumatic lines made up. Oil proof and good for 200 PSI.
Old 03-16-2002, 09:09 AM
Registered

Default Masterlubes

Ray,
I have the masterlubes(not the pump type) that have yet to be installed, of course! I am trying to find a good location(like an oil gallery plug) to tie into(this thing uses engine oil pressure after starting to refill it self). I wish I had a filter pad like yours, so I could plumb into the pressure side at that point, but mine doesn't have the pipe plugs.
I am going to mount them (with a home made tig welded aluminum bracket) at the same point the fileter pad attaches to the front right of the block.
I think that these things are worthwhile since boat engines have a tendency to sit for weeks at a time, leaving the top end "dry".
My 2 cents
Old 03-16-2002, 06:54 PM
Registered

Mine is a canton three qt. pressure canister can't use it to change the oil but it will kick in if the oil pumps ever catches air for a short time.as for saveing the motor yes- no maybe so. James