575 SCi opinion

Notices

575 SCi opinion

Old 01-30-2009, 07:39 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 575 SCi opinion

I have been working on rebuilding a pair of 575 SCi's this winter. When I got to bolting on the intakes, I found the water crossovers were rotted out. They were deemed not worth repairing. Unfortunatley, they were on backorder from Weiand. This set me back over 1 month. Anyway, they should be here early next week. The next problem seems that the new manifolds ( according to the picture ) dont have a hole drilled in it for the PCV valve, like the stock Merc's do.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...N&autoview=sku

I am thinking about drilling them, but another option I see is using one of the holes in the valve covers for the PCV. As they were stock, there is 1 hole in each valve cover that has a hose attached , that "T" together and go to the back of the flame arrestor. I see no issues by installing the PCV in 1 valve cover and leaving the other to vent to the flame arrestor. Any opinions?
Old 01-31-2009, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Using 1 valve cover will work just fine. We use 1 for PCV, 1 for breather. Or you can just put breathers on both sides.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:04 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Thanks Dustin.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am rebuilding a set of 575sci also intakes and thermastat housings are rotted out also,i bought some intakes from weiand had machine shop drill for pvc he charged me 100 for set,also i had to re-drill the intake for the 3 bolt thermostat housing,1 bolt was in the same location had to drill the other 2,cut one of the old housings and used for drilling fixture,better than paying merc over 1000 for new
Old 02-01-2009, 05:17 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MDGperformance
I am rebuilding a set of 575sci also intakes and thermastat housings are rotted out also,i bought some intakes from weiand had machine shop drill for pvc he charged me 100 for set,also i had to re-drill the intake for the 3 bolt thermostat housing,1 bolt was in the same location had to drill the other 2,cut one of the old housings and used for drilling fixture,better than paying merc over 1000 for new

Damn!!! I didnt realize that the t-stat bolt pattern was different as well. Isnt anything easy???

Thanks for the information.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:09 AM
Registered

looks like I will be making a trip to the machine shop again this week..........
Old 02-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Registered

The Merc intakes appear to be Hard Coat anodized. This ovbviously does not stop the corrosion but will extend the life. Are the new Weiand intakes coated?
Old 02-01-2009, 01:25 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ciaoderhead
The Merc intakes appear to be Hard Coat anodized. This ovbviously does not stop the corrosion but will extend the life. Are the new Weiand intakes coated?
No. The stock Weiand manifolds are not coated. However, we sent the new manifolds to Connecticut coatings to have them done. Should have them here in a few days.
I'll post a picture when I get them here.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:22 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MDGperformance
Yes, you are right. I had to drill the new intakes. No big deal to do, just one more hurdle to jump.