O2 gauges and sensors

Notices

O2 gauges and sensors

Old 01-30-2009, 08:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 gauges and sensors

Who is the O2 gauge and sensor of choice ?
Old 01-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cat,
I like my Innovate Motorsports test unit and they also sell gauges for a dash install. From the day long NA testing we have done, there is little to no change in the AFR once you are dialed it. We just run the wire out the hatch from the sender and then tape the unit to the seat. Power comes from a plug into a dash power outlet. You are welcome to borrow my single wire unit.
I don't see a permanent gauge bringing much info/value. I also see tuning each side of the engine as mostly overkill as our goal was to run in a safe but not overly rich range. The AFR is not likely going to be constant all RPM's no matter what you do.
Ben
Old 01-30-2009, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I use a unit by FAST. It has 2 sensors and a dual display allowing you to read both banks of the engine at once. I use to use an Innovate(still use it sometime) but the FAST is so much nicer since I don't have to move the sensor from side to side. You need to check both sides since they will vary. I have seen as much as a 2 point difference from bank to bank. You have to tune the lean bank. If you have one bank at 10:1 and the other at 12:1 and you only check the 10:1 bank and then lean the engine, the other bank will be too lean and you will probably hurt something. The FAST unit sells for about $450.00 with the sensors.

Eddie
Old 01-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks guys, What would you think of using one autometer gauge w/two probes for each engine ? There would be a L/R selector switch for monitoring either bank from time to time.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:44 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't see why that wouldn't work, but I don't really see a need for the wideband full time. Once the engine is tuned, it shouldn't change. The sensors have a limited lifespan and are completely allergic to water. Just a few drops will kill them, not to mention give a false lean by reading the oxygen in the water.
Eddie
Old 01-31-2009, 05:08 AM
rv
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Eddie,
Do you find the lean bank to always been the same side?

Rick
Old 01-31-2009, 07:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Eddie,Your valid points are well taken. We have been known to over analyze/ engineer things.

The dry tail pipes dump through an orificed bung fitting. (water should not reach the header collector)We are tinkering with a muffler design and wondered if the full time sensors could help provide muffler insight and effect.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eddie,
Have you seen much bank to bank total AFR variation in a single plane NA set up? The only thing we are seeing is the 1&3 and 2&4 plugs are all richer but appear balanced (1&2 are the richest). We are dealing with this by staggering the jetting.
Innovate also has a twin O2 sensor setup.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I run a full time O2 sensor, Innovate, connected to a gauge and my ECU for the fuel injection. My exhaust is CMI and dry all the way out. I have mufflers (Bora) and Shotguns on after that. I ran it without the mufflers one time. Pulled the mufflers on the water, made a pass.. Too afraid of dropping one in the drink, so I idled back to the lauch.. about a mile.. when I put them back on and fired the motor the sensor was dead.
Replaced it and havent tried to kill another..
Old 02-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dick, What do think caused the probe to fail when the muffler was off?

Quick Reply: O2 gauges and sensors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.