Notices

trim tab?

Old 02-07-2009, 02:49 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that you will find them plenty strong.

I have seen the dual ones on a 105mph supercharged Eliminator 25 eagle.

He drops them when he wants to tow his kids around on an innertube.

Chris
Old 02-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give them a try, Thanks for the help!!
Old 02-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Checkmate has been putting the Bennets on their boats for years now.

The Lencos Chris posted the link to look stout enough for a 25 foot boat, and better than the Bennets.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Lenco, stay away. I bought a pair of "extreme duty" 12X16, they are complete junk. I spent 20 min. laying them out and discovered the backplates had a 1/4 inch concave, bad manuf. when they weld the channel to the backplate they do not account for heat shrink. Called customer support, totally useless and I quote "most boat transoms are not flat so why should our backplates be" I looked on the floor and all of the back plates are concaved" that is what customer support said! I would stay away from this company, they do not stand behind the product. Gonna cost me $50.00 in shipping just to know the name "LENCO" complete junk.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by uncledad
Lenco, stay away. I bought a pair of "extreme duty" 12X16, they are complete junk. I spent 20 min. laying them out and discovered the backplates had a 1/4 inch concave, bad manuf. when they weld the channel to the backplate they do not account for heat shrink. Called customer support, totally useless and I quote "most boat transoms are not flat so why should our backplates be" I looked on the floor and all of the back plates are concaved" that is what customer support said! I would stay away from this company, they do not stand behind the product. Gonna cost me $50.00 in shipping just to know the name "LENCO" complete junk.
Hmm, I had the opposite experience: I have used Lenco on two different boats, installed them myself. I did not have any issue with the concave backplate, but but if its only 1/8 to 1/4 inch and the hinge is straight, it should be snugged down fine when the screws are tightened. The hinge straightness is most important. However, do complain- you want them to be correct. The reason I picked the Lenco was ease of installation, and they were slightly cheaper than Bennet. I did have a problem with the rams springing a leak, and they had to be replaced (both of them) but one lasted 12 years and the other lasted 15- I am told this is comparible with Bennett rams. Both companies have offered me excellent customer support. The good thing about Lenco is that you dont need extra space for the trim pump motor, and both of them seem to have the same speed of actuation.
My installs were on a 23 Velocity and a 26 Velocity, the later was a solid 75 mph boat. Of course I did not use them above 40-45 mph very often, but they worked ok to about 55-60: above that speed I never used them (no need).

If a Lenco leaks, it ruins the electric motor in the ram after a while. If the Bennett leaks, it ruins the trim pump which is a more expensive item. Both companies frequently offer rebuilt (rather than new) rams and pumps, depending on availability. Based on my experience you should do well using either.

Last edited by dogturd21; 08-24-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

"but but if its only 1/8 to 1/4 inch and the hinge is straight, it should be snugged down fine when the screws are tightened. The hinge straightness is most important. However, do complain- you want them to be correct."

The back plate has a channel welded to it, do you really think that it will flex 1/4 of an inch, I don't think so. As far as complainning I did and they basically blew me off, thats why I would not buy the product, really bad customer service combined with inferior manuf. = Bad Company that I'll stay away from!
Old 08-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by uncledad
"but but if its only 1/8 to 1/4 inch and the hinge is straight, it should be snugged down fine when the screws are tightened. The hinge straightness is most important. However, do complain- you want them to be correct."

The back plate has a channel welded to it, do you really think that it will flex 1/4 of an inch, I don't think so. As far as complainning I did and they basically blew me off, thats why I would not buy the product, really bad customer service combined with inferior manuf. = Bad Company that I'll stay away from!
I would have to see your tabs, or see a pic- mine did not have what you described as a channel. On my tabs, if the plate had a 1/4 inch bow or concave shape to the backing plate, it would go away once they were tightened down. I can only guess that you had a newer design. Maybe yours were made in China while mine were made in the USA ? I can only guess.

I can say that I have had excellent customer support with both companies. One thing I have noticed with this econimic downturn is that customer support seems to be one of the first things to get whacked in a company.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tx911
I have a 91 baja 240 sport with a 630hp 509. I was running a 27 mirage plus last year and the boat is terrible to get on plane. The prop would blow out all the time, and the nose just hangs in the air and it will finally get on plane. Once on plane the midrange is great and I have had it to 82 on gps. This year I have changed to a bravo 1 prop, and after some testing will send it to have it labbed, but I think I need tabs to help get the thing on plane better. I am just not sure if the cheaper lencos and Bennets will hold up at 80mph. In the last 5 months I have spent about 12grand getting the boat back together and cant afford to spend another 2-3grand buying k-planes so am looking into a cheaper alternative.

I was also having a problem with the mirage carrying the bow, I hope the bravo will help that too. You could get it up to the mid seventies and then it would start bouncing the nose up and down (porpoising), you would have to trim it down and shed speed. I thought the tabs may help aleviate this with out shedding so much top end???
i have a 1988 240 i have bennet tabs 12 by 12 . not long anuff. i just had one made 12 by 24 and goinig to bolt the on the old ones.this week end. i run a mirage prop not a plus !!the plus pick my bow up and the boat chine walks the old mirage prop give you 200more rpms than the plus. now on the trim tabs you wt 18ins or better. my buddy runs 24ins on his baja and works good!!! good luck