502 with EFI Cam? >

502 with EFI Cam?

Notices

502 with EFI Cam?

Old 02-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 with EFI Cam?

I have a 1999 502 mag EFI. I have AFR-315 CNC heads to add. I am changing exhaust to Dana or Lighting Headers. Now my question is the cam...what can I run and keep my EFI? I see part cam# out there but not the whole numbers. Therefore, if you 502 EFI people out there can jump in it would be great. I am not looking for the ragged end cam to run just a good strong cam that will work for my EFI, heads and exhaust.

Last edited by goebel1; 02-09-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

I think you are going to be a little disappointed. Your heads could have a little smaller intake port or you need a different intake that will flow more. With your current combination, you'll need to build it to optimize the intake (the weak link)...build the motor for no more than 5200 rpm's (5200 may even be too much)as this is all the long runners are tuned for. For all practical purposes your intake lobe duration will be the contingency for you RPM, so if you were using a Crane HR series lobe, try a 226 @ 050 on the intake. Keep the exhaust lobe on the short side(probably the 230 lobe or if you feel like your DANA exhaust will scavenge those nice AFR exhaust ports, then go with the 226 . This will allow your map sensor to make accurate low speed reads keeping your idle clean and low speed performance, well, EFI like. Keep the LSA wide @ 114 or even a little more. With some shorter, larger volume intake runners, you could do a bit more. Good Luck, Dave
Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey goebel1 .... I'm not at all challenging liquidlounge at all, but IMHO your best bet for cam advice/design would be Bob Madara aka rmbuilder in Rochester NY. In addition to being the most competent cam guy around, he also sells AFRs and knows them inside out. If you're interested Bob can be reached at 585-654-8583. Bob is a great source of information and was key in design and parts picking for my 557.

btw ... I just got off the phone with the guy you bought your AFR's from. He did the machine work and assembly on my engine and did a great job. Also fab'd my SS oil and fuel lines. Small world eh??

Last edited by Kidnova; 02-09-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kidnova
Hey goebel1 .... I'm not at all challenging liquidlounge at all, but IMHO your best bet for cam advice/design would be Bob Madara aka rmbuilder in Rochester NY. In addition to being the most competent cam guy around, he also sells AFRs and knows them inside out. If you're interested Bob can be reached at 585-654-8583. Bob is a great source of information and was key in design and parts picking for my 557.

btw ... I just got off the phone with the guy you bought your AFR's from. He did the machine work and assembly on my engine and did a great job. Also fab'd my SS oil and fuel lines. Small world eh??
Call Bob he will help you out HE KNOWS HIS STUFF !!!!
Old 02-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Call me for the Lightning headers!
Old 02-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Registered

Yes, he also told me about your fast wild boat says your crazy LOL. I told him I have the same boat so I guess there are two crazy boaters now. I have call Bob Madara He is doing some check on using the Injection system…he telling me it is way to small to use. I guess I will change over to a carburetion system. I thought the AFR 315 CNC heads were good heads for a 502.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kennyo
Call me for the Lightning headers!
What do you have. I need a #
Old 02-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think they're sold.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kennyo
I think they're sold.
Of course
Old 02-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Registered

Bob hook me up with a guy that has a MPI manifoil that flow 1000 CFM +. I still dont know if I want to do that.. that is mess with programing. What carb are you running on yours.

Quick Reply: 502 with EFI Cam?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.