Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Listing problem... >

Listing problem...

Notices

Listing problem...

Old 03-17-2002, 12:15 AM
Registered

Location: I knew I shouldn't have made that left turn in Albuquerque...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Listing problem...

Hi there.
I've just purchased an '01 Warlock 25 World Class, and am in the process of learning the boats quirks and perks. However, when I break it down from speed, or if I run less than 30 mph, it lists hard to port. It's especially difficult when slowing down to idle, or "NO WAKE". WOT, and over 30 mph it runs and rides great. It does have k-planes, but they're full up when it does it... I'm confused... On hard acceleration (0-go) it doesn't list either. Any ideas, or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
Tom
Old 03-17-2002, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom:
Does she list when it's just sitting, or at idle ? I know some boats are rigged that way (weight to one side) to give you a flat ride at speed.

Doug
Old 03-17-2002, 06:32 PM
Banned

I have the exact same problem with my boat, but it doesn't seem to get any better at speed.
Old 03-17-2002, 06:36 PM
Registered

RumRunner, she sits level at idle and at rest. Like I said in my post, it's got me stumped...

Troutly, that's a distinct possibility. It came with a rh26p 4bl. bow rise prop, and it only turned 4200 rpm @ WOT. So it IS a possibility that the torque is being transfered to the boat instead of the prop at lower speeds. It has a 454 mag. MPI. approx. 385 bhp, Bravo I. I may drop to a 24p and see what happens. It definitely needs more rpm's to run efficiently anyway.

Cuda, she runs flat and straight at 40 - WOT. And it accelerates quick enough so that the list is barely noticeable. But breaking it down quick is an experience!

Thanks for the suggestions!
Tom.

Last edited by RedWarlock; 03-17-2002 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-18-2002, 07:46 AM
Registered

For every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. When the prop spins clockwise the propshaft wants to turn counterclockwise. Many manufacturers will slightly offset the drive and or keel/pad to compensate which is why the tendency to list will be reduced at high speeds.

My Thoroughbred does it and so do several other boats that I've been in.

You can compensate by moving weight around or by dropping the port tab but that increases drag.

I compensate with the tab most of the time, or just make sure the fat chick sits on the starboard side...
Old 03-18-2002, 08:35 AM
Registered

listen to john jan on the torque steer explanation , but forget he ever mentioned fat chicks.

it's very common in light high horsepower single engine boats. it drives me nuts in my fountain.

Last edited by Dredgeking; 03-18-2002 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My boat lists to the left in the 20-30mph range, I think it is just the torque of the motor,
Old 03-18-2002, 11:10 AM
Registered

JohnJan, don't know that I'd say that about "fat chicks" too loudly myself... But the torque issue makes sense, especially since I can't get over 4200 RPM @ WOT and trimmed up. I'm gonna try a 24 pitch to get the RPM's up and maybe, just maybe it wont list as bad.

27Fountain & Dredgeking, thanks for the info and letting me know I'm not alone in this situation. As you can tell, I'm kinda new at powerboating and need all the info I can get my hands on! It's a whole new experience from my cruiser.

Again, thanks everybody!
Tom
Old 03-18-2002, 11:28 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm guessing here but no one has said anything about switching from a right to left handed prop. I thought a lot of the single Fountains use them. Like I said I'm guessing just thought I'd throw it out there
Old 03-18-2002, 11:34 AM
Registered

scott, this should cause the same situation, but now it'll turn toward star. it's the whole equal and opposite reaction thing. it happens on airplanes as well. this is why counter rotating twins are nice.

Quick Reply: Listing problem...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.