Water in oil with pics

Notices

Water in oil with pics

Old 04-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
My old motor used to get water inside after just a few minutes of run time right after I bought it. After countless tear downs and checks finding nothing wrong, turned out my intake gaskets weren't tight. I used to do the normal 3 rounds on the torque pattern and be done. Even after the 3 rd time around, the 1st bolt in the sequence was finger tight do the gasket being compressed each round. I now go around as many times as it takes till the 1st bolt still has torque to it.
That was on my blower intake, the stock Merc intake was never a problem. Just something to keep in mind on your intake install. Good luck.
Sometimes the intake will touch the steel deck of the block on the front and the back oreventing you from squeezing the gasket properly. Always check that when going back with anything that is not stock or you will change gaskets and tighten until you make yourself crazy trying to figure out where the leak is coming from.

Also, if you think it is leaking from the intake, you can usually run the engine without the valve covers so that you can see if water is leaking into the engine by looking through the oil passages.

Good luck.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just wanted to update this thread. I took the boat out today for the first time and it ran great. Oil pressure maintaned 45psi and droped to 35psi after coming off a hard run and idle. Motor sounds tight and I guess the 5 oil changes I did to flush out the water in the oil helped. Iam running 20w-50 oil also.
Erik
Old 05-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by crapr6
Well I just wanted to update this thread. I took the boat out today for the first time and it ran great. Oil pressure maintaned 45psi and droped to 35psi after coming off a hard run and idle. Motor sounds tight and I guess the 5 oil changes I did to flush out the water in the oil helped. Iam running 20w-50 oil also.
Erik
GREAT,,,so what was the problem????

GOOD OIL BY THE WAY !
Old 05-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by daredevil
GREAT,,,so what was the problem????

GOOD OIL BY THE WAY !
Rotted out manifolds and risers. I put Lighting headers on it and a new intake. I just got in from drain the oil which only had about 5 hours of use on it from today and there is no signs of water in it anymore..
Just want it to live for this season then it can come out over the winter.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Registered

Rotted out manifolds and risers. I put Lighting headers on it and a new intake. I just got in from drain the oil which only had about 5 hours of use on it from today and there is no signs of water in it anymore..
Just want it to live for this season then it can come out over the winter.
Too bad you didn't cut open a few oil filters for even more peace of mind. Or did you?

I think the reason the diesel fuel idea was mentioned is because it will get places oil sometimes doesn't or takes a long time to. It will put an end to further rusting. You'd drain it out and then do everything you already did. Works sort of like a cleaner and large debris remover. I know some guys that have saved a lot of engines this way (Westcoast included). It all depends on how picky you are and what you can afford of course. I wish I could ever get that lucky!!
Old 05-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever
Too bad you didn't cut open a few oil filters for even more peace of mind. Or did you?

I think the reason the diesel fuel idea was mentioned is because it will get places oil sometimes doesn't or takes a long time to. It will put an end to further rusting. You'd drain it out and then do everything you already did. Works sort of like a cleaner and large debris remover. I know some guys that have saved a lot of engines this way (Westcoast included). It all depends on how picky you are and what you can afford of course. I wish I could ever get that lucky!!
Never did cut open an of the filters. Going back out Sat, Sun so hope she hangs in there.
Erik
Old 07-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Registered

Ok not to bring up an old thread and also KNOCK ON WOOD.....
I have been running the motor hard everyday I take it out which is about 8-15 hours a weekend and it still running good! I have done a few oil changes since the first time out this year and no water in the oil so she is good to go...
Erik
Old 07-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad to see someone having good Luck!
Old 07-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeffswav
Glad to see someone having good Luck!
Thank you, yeah I can't beleave how well it runs. I beat the heck out of it today and ran like a champ!
Old 07-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you, yeah I can't beleave how well it runs. I beat the heck out of it today and ran like a champ!
That is great wish I was boating today. I think it is a good idea to get a filter cutter and check your filter every oil change. Filter cutter make sit easy to look for any changes or wear when oil is changed.

Quick Reply: Water in oil with pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.