timing chain cover >

timing chain cover

Notices

timing chain cover

Old 03-29-2009, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing chain cover

I have a zz502 Gen 6 in my Eliminator my stock timing chain cover can only be put on an off by lowering the oil pan. Can you buy a race cover thats quicker and easier thanks
Old 03-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by plumb crazy
I have a zz502 Gen 6 in my Eliminator my stock timing chain cover can only be put on an off by lowering the oil pan. Can you buy a race cover thats quicker and easier thanks
jegs summit the only down fall is they cost about 375 dollars
Old 03-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Registered

Cloyes make a 2 piece unit that allows access to the cam gear without removing the entire cover. I dont' think it's anywhere near the price mentioned above, but could be wrong
Old 03-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Registered

I was on the phone with Jegs and Summit tonight they both say they have nothing but one peace covers which would be fine if I only new if the oil pan needs to drop or not . Summit or Jegs could't tell me. What we no is Gen 4,5,6 are all diffrent they make what I need in the 4,5 nothing in 6. I did find one by Comp 589.00 thats **** I,m not paying that I,ll modify a stock one if I have to.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:28 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

You will need to drop the pan to get the timing cover off. I have done quite a few with out totally dropping the pan. Though you have to pull all the bolts from the front and side rails. Then "carefully" work the pan down. Do not break the rubber pan gasket. I put some small 1/2" wedges between the pan rail and block rail to keep the pan down. Now the touchy part, you have to be "very" careful with the gasket it is one piece and needs to be worked free from the bottom of the timing cover. Just don't jerk the cover of the dowels and pull it loose or you will mess up the gasket. On reinstallation do not use silicone on pan gasket. Use a thin layer of gasket maker on the bottom grove of the timing cover, let it set up a little then install and work the gasket back into the grove on the cover. Install cover with new face gasket. Bring the pan back up and reinstall all bolts. But make sure that gasket is set in the timing cover properly b-4 putting that pan up. Most people say it can't be done or will leak. But if your careful it can be done and be leak free. Did this on a Gen V three times last summer testing cams no leaks. But like I say be careful with that gasket take your time or you will be removing a pan and installing a new gasket.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one solution, but not certainly the least expensive. Install a Jesel belt drive. If changing cams or just adjusting the cam timing is your purpose, the belt drive is your ticket. Jesel now has a base plate made for the Gen 6 blocks.
Jesel installed on a ZZ502. Second pic shows the spacer required to clear the cam belt pulley.
Attached Thumbnails timing chain cover-new-recircu-water-pump-002-1.jpg   timing chain cover-new-recircu-water-pump-003-1.jpg  
Old 03-30-2009, 03:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Rotax Definitly has the right idea. The only way to go. Get out the big bank role.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Rotax has the right idea. Thats all I use is Jesel Belt Drives if the customer can handle the price of them. Now you can get the new white belt that is super stong as long as oil stays away from it, if it gets oil to it change it! Why would you be removing the cover from time to time? I could see it maybe on the dyno, after the engine is in the boat?
Old 04-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Registered

Just pull the cover by prying it out past dow pins then lift straight up on it so you dont break the lower lip off,, then get rid of the bottom rubber seal and use rite stuff to reseal it this stuff is good and will never leak. make it real ez to put back together.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MER Performance
Rotax has the right idea. Thats all I use is Jesel Belt Drives if the customer can handle the price of them. Now you can get the new white belt that is super stong as long as oil stays away from it, if it gets oil to it change it! Why would you be removing the cover from time to time? I could see it maybe on the dyno, after the engine is in the boat?
Considering the endurance build practice that I am sticking to with my motor project, I am ready to install the "white" Jesel belts. I saw your post and have a question:

Are the standard belts also injurerous to oil too?

Quick Reply: timing chain cover

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.