Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Painting trailer need HELP! >

Painting trailer need HELP!

Notices

Painting trailer need HELP!

Old 03-22-2002, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jason: You might need to score the stripe to allow the remover to get to the adhesive.

Bowtie, Later: You can use that wheel on a BOAT with out damaging the finish under and around the decal?

Chart
Old 03-22-2002, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think that rubber wheel would screw up the fiberglass.
Maybe im wrong
never used one before but on the steel trailer i cant see it hurting a damn thing
and to boot, im not going to go for the Guiness book of world records nicest trailer award either so it is not THAT important to me if I have a nick here and a ding there on my trailer
As long as it is safe, holds and supports the boat properly and is in no danger of falling apart, I honestly dont give that much of a damn about it
yet another trip to Home depot after work LOL
Jason
Old 03-22-2002, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wink

Jayl13,

Can't be sure that this will help given the age of the adhesive you have to work with but here goes... Naptha, is a clear solvent which will not harm paint or similar finishes... I had a similar experience sever years ago on a Myco I owned, and it took considerable soaking but after several spray applications the stripes did start to come off... Once an edge has lifted spraying the exposed area made the removal process much faster... It voids the adhesive and rolls it from the surface and doesn't hurt plastic, painted surfaces, metal finish or fiberglass... And best of all.... try $7 per gallon at Home Depot or any hardware store...
Great stuff and hope this helps...

Karl
Old 03-22-2002, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

chart there would be no problems with using the rubber wheel on fiber glass, unless of corse you intentionally try to burn the fiber glass sometime if you push real hard and stay in one spot long youy might burn the paint on a car but like i said you have to try. they would work great on a boat. i havent seen the large ones used on a buffer but then i havent looked. we use the smaller one daily. any kind of solvent will may a mess of the vinal long before it takes in off. you might clean it up with solvent once the stripe removed. good luck!
Old 03-22-2002, 09:30 PM
Registered

3M eraser wheel is the way to go. I have a bodyshop and use it every time a stripe needs to come off. Good luck spring is here.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:53 PM
Registered

Well lets start out by saying that all solvents did not even hurt the vinyl stripe,
damn thing laughed at everything I threw at it, including gasoline.
So, The eraser wheel, I went EVERYWHERE looking for it from Pep boys, National auto, home depot, lowes, sears, sherman williams, MAB paints ect. No one had it.
So I did the only thing left
sanded it and roughed it up, primered it, painted it
Painted the entire trailer with my Campbell Hausfeld paint gun and my woussy little compressor
Other than having to wait for the compressor to fill up here and there (about every 7-8 minutes had to stop for a min and let it catch up) Painting went beautifully.
Very very very impressed with the final results.
Sanding and primering took the longest time (about 7 hrs)
Painting took about 2-2 1/2 hrs total
long day but totally worth it
Now to go to pep boys or something and get some pin striping to cover the old stuff so you dont see it as bad and im golden.
Also going to recarpet the bunks and im going to see if I can find some purple carpet to match the pin striping and color coordinate the whole package (we will see what we can find)
I did appreciate all the advice but that vinyl stripe that was on there, was all dry rotted and cracked and just would not come off no matter what I did, plus with the sander, trying to sand it off just was more of a mess than it was worth, would sand right through the THIN as hell paint and right to bare metal in about 4 second with 220 grit so i said enough is enough
Overall im pleased wiht the results and she looks brand spanking new, now for some carpet and new bolts to hold the bunks down and im all done that project and on to the boat
(if I ever get the damn thing back from the marina GRRRR)
Jason