Painting trailer need HELP! >

Painting trailer need HELP!

Notices

Painting trailer need HELP!

Old 03-21-2002, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting trailer need HELP!

I have a trailer that has vinyl tape stripes on it and for the life of me I cant get them the hell off
Tried paint gun
yeah right, vinyl stripe laughed at the heat gun
Tried sander, that worked but turned it into chewing gum before it wore off and all around the stripe i sanded clear down to bare metal so that is not an option
Is there some sort of solvent or stripper for this vinyl crap that I can spray on there or what not to get it off?
Any help would be appreciated
Get the boat back in 2 weeks and i have hardly done anything to this trailer yet and im running out of time
Thanks
Jason
Old 03-21-2002, 04:19 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,272 Likes on 556 Posts

A great product I have used is 3M Adhesive remover. It is not very damaging to the underlying surface, but it will help you remove the tape. It is available at any Body Shop Supply store, (in yellow pages).

Also, M! Adhesive Remover is stronger stuff. I got my last bottle at Home Depot last year. Much stronger solvent. This will take loosen the stripes, and remove the adhesive, but it may damage the paint under the tape.
Old 03-21-2002, 04:20 PM
Registered

Not worried about the paint underneath, can sand it down if gets mushy or lumpy or whatever
Have primer and paint ready to go just cant get this god forsaken stripe off which is screwing me all up at the moment
Ill try that
Home Depot huh? Pass one on way home
called M!
never heard of it
Thanks
Jason
Old 03-21-2002, 04:38 PM
NotTOOBAD

Reflective tape works wonders in covering that crappy little pinstripe up...and makes for a sharp looking trailer which some bonehead is less likely to run into in the dark!

Old 03-21-2002, 05:12 PM
Brad Perry

A heat gun should work. Get a razor under the end and get enough tab to pull on while applying heat near where it is separating and gently pull. It should slowly come off where the heat is applied. It goes slow because you are continually heating a new section, but much easier than sanding. The 3m stuff can be had at auto parts stores too. Good stuff but will take a while to get under the pin stripe. It can be used to remove the adhesive after removal so that it doesn't fish eye or load up your sand paper.

Old 03-21-2002, 06:23 PM
wet pleasure

Try eazy off ovencleaner with some heat.

Old 03-21-2002, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

jayl13 go to the auto paint store and get a stripe erasier it is a wheel made out of rubber that you put in i die grinder and it burns the stripe and glue right off with out harming the paint underneath. it is designed for taking off stripes and decals good luck.
Old 03-21-2002, 07:44 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use what later said. I think it's made by 3M also. Comes in two sizes, small fits in 3/8 drill and the large will mount on a buffer but you need an adapter for that one. Takes stripes right off though. I have the large one on my buffer and can remove all stripes on just about any boat in under an hour.
Old 03-21-2002, 09:22 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,272 Likes on 556 Posts

My mistake on the keystroke:
M1 Remover. Comes in a can like paint thinner.
Old 03-22-2002, 08:45 AM
Registered

Cool, thanks guys
and No the heat gun does NOT work that tape (about inch and half wide) has been on there for 12 years
some is cracked and dryrotted some is fine
it laughed at that heat gun though
probably sat there for 20-25 minutes burning the tape and it would just sort of melt and make a gooey mess , the dry rotted stuff did nothing
I thought maybe the heat gun was not getting real real hot so like an ass I put my hand (with glove on mind you) on the trailer metal, and yeah i could feel the heat and burnt my glove leather
so heat gun is out razor blade, yeah, trailer is 36 feet long, that idea is the absolutely LAST resort when all else fails
That remover stuff Ill pick up today and that rubber eraser thing, that is going to hopefully be #1 choice,
work smart not hard my old man used to say
So that is another thing I can use the air compressor for, and the die grinder for that matter
3m definately comes up with some good ideas in this world
Thanks all for the input, Ill keep you posted with pics too of the progress of this turd
Jason

Quick Reply: Painting trailer need HELP!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.