Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
edelbrock torker manifold (small block chev) >

edelbrock torker manifold (small block chev)

Notices

edelbrock torker manifold (small block chev)

Old 03-24-2002, 04:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the Performer with a Performer cam. Port matched Mercruiser heads, Holley 650 with elec choke, and 9.5 to 1 forged pistons- motor was a .030 over 350. This netted 300 HP at 4600-4800 if I remember correctly, ran great and took about a day to get it tuned properly-I didn't even have to jet the carb.
Old 03-24-2002, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my boat out last wednesday. 1st time this year. The motor is running great.

edelbrock vortec RPM air gap intake
600 cfm edelbrock 4 barrel carb
Vortec cast iron heads designed by edelbrock
K&M air filter
Stock Merc cam
350 bored .030 over

I have been very impressed with the edelbrock air gap intake. The carb, intake and heads work very well together. Edelbrock says that the rpm air gap vortec was designed for the vortec cast iron heads and the parts work well together.

I think the quad jet has more top end but the edelbrock uses less gas. I do more water skiing and tubing than top end so the edelbrock carb works well for me. In a bigger or heavier boat I would go with the q jet. When your boat is 19 foot almost any 4 barrel is over kill. The only time I hear my secondaries is when I am just playing around. It is fun and they sound good but they are truely icing on the cake.

I parked the boat in november and the boat started right up. The carb has started very well for me. Water sking I will do 30 starts in an afternoon and starting is very important. The boat starts better than the q jet in my truck. The only thing that I did was charge the batteries in jan and put some fresh gas in the tank. the only down side that I have found is with many of the closed cooling systems. Alot of them use the t-stat housing to support the heat exchanger. I don't want to hang any weight on the aluminum intake that is torqued to only 12 ft lbs. I have yet to find an aftermarket closed cooling system that bolts directly to the block or the heads. they make them I have yet to research them.

I got my rpm air gap vortec from checker for about 210.00.

I wish I knew how much horsepower this engine puts out. I do know it pushes my 19 foot chaparral very well. This motor is alot quicker than my stock merc 350 was with the two barrel. I think that I gained alot of horsepower from the rpm air gap intake.

Maybe this helps, Good luck

Old 03-26-2002, 11:07 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

well alrighty than . . . i go away for a long weekend of skiing and come home ta find all my home work done for me thanks guys

i think i will go with the edelbrock performer/airgap and my q-jet for starters. i will also put a new cam in with it , probably whatever they recomend. than maybe some time in the summer see how an edelbrock carb works on it.

i had heard the torker was not the way to go on a small block/boat but thought i would confirm it on the tech board

thanks again all

by the way i dont currently have vortech heads you think the airgap will be good anyway.
Old 03-26-2002, 11:29 PM
BEACH PARTY
Platinum Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 714 Posts

The Airgap is a great intake and they make versions for both the Vortec and non-Vortec applications. Anything that keeps hot oil from coming into contact with the runners is a good thing.
Old 03-27-2002, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Find or buy a copy of Dennis Moore's book, Small Block Chev. Marine Engines....Its great and has proven set-ups. I'm going to add 1.6 roller rockers to my 350 to bump up the factory roller cam. Its an '88 350/260 QJet. Comp. Cams make nice roller tip rockers. I'm wondering if they'll fit under the factory 4 bolt valve covers....Mike.
Old 03-27-2002, 04:21 PM
BEACH PARTY
Platinum Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 714 Posts

They're the same size as the factory rocker arm and do fit... I have them on my 383. We wanted to run a full roller rocker (Comp Pro Magnum) but there wasn't enough clearance inside the valve cover.
Old 03-27-2002, 06:40 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

hey cv-23, that is a good book. full of great info . . .hate to say it but i got it last year and forgot i had it. im just so use to get'n answers from the tech board , sliped my mind.