Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
edelbrock torker manifold (small block chev) >

edelbrock torker manifold (small block chev)

Notices

edelbrock torker manifold (small block chev)

Old 03-22-2002, 02:21 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts
Default edelbrock torker manifold (small block chev)

OK heres the deal . . i have a small block chev in my boat i would like to do a little work on and need a few tips.the engine that came in it when i got it was a 225 horse GM 350 4 bolt crate motor (goodwrench).it has almost no hours on it. i've got an edelbrock single plane torker i was thinking about run'n on it and would like to know if anyone has used this on thier boat. also need a cam and carb suggestion. im not look'n to get any big hp #'s but a few more ponies wouldnt be bad, somewhere around 300 would be fine, give or take.

the boat is a 23.5 foot daycruiser, volvo 280 outdrive.merc center riser exhaust with 4 inch through transoms . . . oh yea i also have a thunderbolt ignition of a 260hp merc, was thinkin about throw'n that on to.

sooooo . . what-cha think.

thanks all

ps- i've abandon the holly pro-jection from the eariler thread for sinplicity's sake.

Last edited by glassdave; 03-22-2002 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-23-2002, 12:46 AM
BEACH PARTY
Platinum Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 714 Posts

Dump that intake... it's geared toward higher RPM power and will kill the low end. Go and grab yourself a Performer RPM. It'll do everything that you need it to do.

Xtreme Marine 256 or 262 (I had good luck with the 262 in a 355 that I had) or the equivalent from Crane or whatever. Keep the factory Q-Jet (if that's what you've got). If you don't want the Q-Jet, go and grab one of the newer style Holley 4010/4011 marine carbs. I think they're a pretty slick setup (haven't used one on a boat but I know they make a marine version).
Old 03-23-2002, 12:47 AM
BEACH PARTY
Platinum Member

The Xtreme Marine line of cams is made by Comp Cams.
Old 03-23-2002, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used torker 2 manifolds for years on big blocks and they have worked great for me. They are a little sluggish below 2000 rpm but some massaging of the accerator pump circuit cures that. The reason got started with them was that they are a very low profile design and will fit under anything. Had wieand stealths on my formula. I really liked them. The single plane,dual plane debate could go on forever. Id use it if you have it. Ive got a brand new full roller timing set with thrust bearings for a sbc if you need it. And i you wanna try a 7.4 q-jet, ive got a couple of those sittig around.
Old 03-23-2002, 12:30 PM
Greg Mc

My mechanic recommended the Edelbrock dual plane performer airgap. He said they did their homework on this one. He said they are fairly new and work well in all rpm ranges. I wish I could report on how it works, but the baot is still apart. Looks cool though.

Old 03-23-2002, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree , the airgap is nice if you have the clearance and the money. Dont they want like $350 for those things? If I had the room and the money that is what I would want too.
Old 03-23-2002, 03:54 PM
Sammy

I just completed an upgrade project on my 1996 SBC 350. It started as a two barrel 210-220 hp. My goal was to net 325-350 hp. Keep in mind that I only have a 16' Donzi with an Alpha Gen II. Here is what I ended up with.
1. Eddelbrock #2103 Cam
2. Edellbrock #60909 64cc Alum Heads
3. Edelbrock #2701 Performer EPS Itake
4. Edelbrock 600 cfm Marine Carb
5. Harland Sharp Rolloer Rockers
6. K&N Air Filter

My goal was to build reliable HP that didn't cost an arm and a leg. There are so many choices out there and I lack the experience that many have. So as you can see I went with a package, feeling that it would reduce the risk of miss matched parts. I hope this helps.

Sam

Old 03-23-2002, 09:09 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GlassDave;

The first question I have to ask you is : What kind of heads are you running? Are the valve cover bolts in the center of the cover or are they around the bottom edge where the gasket is? Keep in mind that intakes that fit 1 style head will not fit the other. The bolt pattern is different. If you have the center bolt style heads, they really don't flow good, unless they are Vortec heads.
Old 03-23-2002, 10:18 PM
BEACH PARTY
Platinum Member

While the Torker and Torker II are probably OK for the big block crowd (the loss of low speed torque doesn't hurt as much with the big block since it produces adequate torque due to it's displacement) it will be more noticeable with the sbc.

My opinion still stands... buy a dual plane and sell the Torker to a budget minded bracket racer.
Old 03-24-2002, 01:46 PM
Greg Mc

I think the air-gap is around $250 or so.

Quick Reply: edelbrock torker manifold (small block chev)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.