Merc. Distributor question >

Merc. Distributor question

Notices

Merc. Distributor question

Old 04-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Merc. Distributor question

As some of you know I have been trying to get a few items rounded up to finish up my boat & I was thinking that I was going to need a distributor... Anyways I have a Billet GM (msd) & a Blue GM box (msd6) however my distributor doesnot have a slip collar & I will be running a talldeck so long story short I was either going to do a bit of machine work & a slip collar on mine , or spend another $250-300 for a new one...

Leads me to hear... I have been doing some reasearch & realized that ALOT more people are usung the Merc Thunderbolt with great results... I have a Merc. distributor for a Tall Deck that is in great shape if I can use it successfully , realiably , & also work fine in my power range then I will be one happy camper to say the least !!!!

Here is are the Numbers on the bottom of the distributor & in this arrangment :
J1171
1103799 7E27

I will gladly up load a photo if needed... I also have this sitting directly in front of me if anybody has any questions or wants any info ect....

As always thanks for taking the time to help !!!

Last edited by littledcsrodshop; 04-18-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Registered

Sorry I forgot to mention what this will be run on..

Quick rundown : 511" Tall Deck with a Centrifical V-4 blower making in the 750-800 range..

Like I said I have the Blue GM box same as MSD6 that I planned on using along.. I have heard various opinions on MSD in marine applications ect.. But I am in fresh water so the corrosion should not be an issue ??

Anyways the lines are open so shoot away !!

Last edited by littledcsrodshop; 04-18-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Registered

Here are a few pics of what I have.. Alittle cleaning on the inside & I think it will be good to go , If it will work ok in my application ??? Its not really relivant but it did come off a twin turbo T/D motor

To be perfectly honest I said it was a merc. but untill I find out something on the part numbers I am kinda just assuming.. I have seen some Thunderbolts earlier looked nothing like this particular dist. so it may not even be one ?? So you electrical geeks tell me what I got... I am pretty good at many things but I must say that electricilty has never really interested me much untill it quits working so..
Attached Thumbnails Merc. Distributor question-distributor-006.jpg   Merc. Distributor question-distributor-003.jpg   Merc. Distributor question-distributor-001.jpg  

Last edited by littledcsrodshop; 04-18-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey buddy. That is a GM distributor. Yes, it will work fine for what you are doing. That is the same dist. found on 502 mag efi, 500 efi, etc. It is generally used in efi applications, but can be used with a carb. It actually does a better job of triggering the coil to fire than an MSD. It's pickup is a very fine point instead of the wider blade of an MSD. I won't get into the Sine Wave vs. Square Wave debate. I prefer to use it on EFI engines, but I generally use the MSD because people expect it on an expensive engine. I only prefer the MSD because of the billet body and larger shaft size. Long story short....it will work fine.
Talk to you soon, Eddie.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:08 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

same as mine,like Eddie says use it

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...tor-parts.html

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Registered

Thanks Eddie !! Good news & that helps me alot.. I ofcourse need to save all the coin I can , however If I needed to buy one then I would just have to somehow buy one.. I am trying to save all I can but at the same time I'm not going to put junk , or an inferior product on a great project that deserves much more , it would just delay the slash date.. Thanks again for all your help !
Old 04-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by littledcsrodshop
slash date
You using a machete on that thing?
Old 04-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by duunoit
You using a machete on that thing?
Hey Chris , Thats funny !! Ya I'm trying to get me some good car dealer slang going to keep up on my sales pitches so I can afford to finish this thing...
Old 04-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't wait to see it (done).
Old 04-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by duunoit
I can't wait to see it (done).
You & me both !! I'm still holding out for that day that we both actually have a running boat at the same time can do some running..