Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Direction of 496 Impeller? HELP!!!! >

Direction of 496 Impeller? HELP!!!!

Notices

Direction of 496 Impeller? HELP!!!!

Old 04-18-2009, 06:28 PM
NoQuarter

Default Direction of 496 Impeller? HELP!!!!

I have an 2002 496 (not HO). Impleller is so blown out, I can't see which direction for the new one. I have two hoses on mine, a smaller one on top, and a bigger one on bottom. I am thinking the water intake is the one on top?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Boat is 2002 Sunsation Aggresser.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Direction of 496 Impeller? HELP!!!!-dscn0367resized.jpg  

Old 04-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure and clean out all of the pieces in the cooler. Put enough grease or vasoline on it and it doesn't matter which direction it is going, It will change itself.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Counter clockwise looking from the rear if I remember correctly. It will straighten itself, but it is hard on the vanes.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:42 PM
NoQuarter

Originally Posted by speedreeder
make sure and clean out all of the pieces in the cooler. Put enough grease or vasoline on it and it doesn't matter which direction it is going, It will change itself.
Well that is kind-of what I was thinking, but tomorrow I am going to trace the hoses and verify the water intake line, I also going to just 'tap' the starter to see which way the pulleys are turning... trying to put the whole picture together.

Definately going to use vasoline, pick up some tomorrow.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:43 PM
NoQuarter

Thanks for the help guys!

Tom

Old 04-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Registered

Here's a quick drawing of how the impellor vanes look in relation to the housing. hope it helps.
The inlet is the smaller hose.

Last edited by raeburn; 05-17-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Use liquid dishwashing soap for lubrication. It will disolve in the water and not risk clogging anything when you fire it up.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:16 PM
NoQuarter

Originally Posted by raeburn
Here's a quick drawing of how the impellor vanes look in relation to the housing. hope it helps.
The inlet is the smaller hose.
Wow! This is great! Thx! Really appreciate the help!

Old 04-18-2009, 10:21 PM
NoQuarter

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
Use liquid dishwashing soap for lubrication. It will disolve in the water and not risk clogging anything when you fire it up.
Yes, I actually bought 'Dawn' dish washing liquid today, but then someone else mentioned vasoline. Seems like vasoline, used sparingly would provide longer lubrication, but I agree that it wouldn't wash out like dish soap. I'm going to fire up the motor right after I'm done, so probably no risk of the soap drying up.

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Scarab22-1998
Well that is kind-of what I was thinking, but tomorrow I am going to trace the hoses and verify the water intake line, I also going to just 'tap' the starter to see which way the pulleys are turning... trying to put the whole picture together.

Definately going to use vasoline, pick up some tomorrow.
If you are watching the pulleys while standing in the boat looking at the engine you will see them turn to your right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.