question on Imco hydraulic steering

Notices

question on Imco hydraulic steering

Old 04-19-2009, 10:26 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question on Imco hydraulic steering

I'm running the Imco full hydraulic twin ram sys. with the power assist. at low rpm's it is a bear to steer (under 1000 rpm) crack the throttle just a bit and its fine, but when trying to dock it's a problem. if the engine is off it turns like a regular hyd. steering, is there a fix for this, differnt pulley for the powersteering pump to turn it faster at idle, or should I do away with the power assist.
Larry
Old 04-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read on here that people have drilled out something in the power steering pump to give better flow/more volume at low rpm. I don't remember specifics, but you might be able to search it or somebody who knows may chime in shrotly.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:09 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Come on, I'm sure someone know something about this.
share your thought's
Old 04-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.co...rsteering.html
Old 04-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Registered

I'm with Trawfish here, I saw that post but I can't find it in a search now!

There are ways to modify the pump for increased flow but then you also may increase pressure at higher rpm over what you want which may cause you to spring a leak somewhere!

A slightly larger pulley may help, but I wouldn't have a clue where to find one. Do you have the standard diameter crank pulley? Or one of the ones with different depth belt grooves for PS, WP and Alt? If you have the differing one, you may want to try a different Crank pulley instead, I know they come in various sizes.

Here's amy rookie check though, how old is the fluid? Do you have check valve or filter? how old are they? Do you run a PS oil cooler? Have you checked and cleaned it?
-It may just be a low speed pressure issue due to a small obstruction, I don't know.

Good Luck!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Hard steering

you did not say what helm you have, is it new or old correct size or to big, a common problem. Is the engine at the correct idle speed, does the belt slip on the pump. When p/s is set up correct you should be able to steer with one hand at idle.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hooze,
there is an orifice under the high pressure output of the pump. I cant remember how it is setup.. I think it comes out. I drilled mine out years ago and it seemed to help some, but I had other issues.. my helm was way too big and it still strong arms me.. Mine is WPM steering, where my buddy's is Imco, he steers at idle with one finger resting on the wheel.. I white knuckle it all the time.. Some day I will buy another helm that gives me 3 turns lock to lock.. and that fixes it.
Pull the fitting on the back of the pump.. the HP one.. you will see what I mean. I didnt drill it in the pump, I am pretty sure of that. And how much to drill.. I dont remember.. Just a little be bigger?? Ok.. found my notes from 1998.. says one drill step below 3/16".. creep up on it.. and see what happens.
Hope that helps.
Dick
Old 04-23-2009, 07:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Jb-fse
you did not say what helm you have, is it new or old correct size or to big, a common problem. Is the engine at the correct idle speed, does the belt slip on the pump. When p/s is set up correct you should be able to steer with one hand at idle.
I'm not sure of the helm size, It was part of the imco sys. in 2002 when it was installed, tried different rpm's, it seems to be normal at about 1200 rpm, but thats a little hard on the drive, belt is not slipping, checked that. above 1200 it is a 1 finger sys.
Thanks
Larry