Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496 Sea Strainer Install - Help! >

496 Sea Strainer Install - Help!

Notices

496 Sea Strainer Install - Help!

Old 04-24-2009, 02:22 PM
NoQuarter

Default 496 Sea Strainer Install - Help!

Pic 1
Livorsi strainer

Pic 2
Limited space - Where to install it? Move the battery box backwards or forwards? Ideally I was hoping the strainer would be closer to the front, and easier to service.

Pic 3
water supply hose/suction side

Pic 4
The water supply hose goes to this! I thought it went to the water pump, directly. So I guess I would go from the strainer to this, right? I can't see how to make these connections in such a tight space without having 90 degree fittings or maybe extra hose coiled up under the motor and in the bilge.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thx!

Tom
Attached Thumbnails 496 Sea Strainer Install - Help!-dscn0392resizedstrainer.jpg   496 Sea Strainer Install - Help!-dscn0385resized.jpg   496 Sea Strainer Install - Help!-dscn0386resized.jpg  

496 Sea Strainer Install - Help!-dscn0384resizedusethisone.jpg  

Old 04-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default See If This Helps

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ViewSlid....1240616944037

It looks like you would be better served with mounts on the bottom of the strainer so it could "stand". I can't tell if there is a stringer under the manifold or if there is just a drop.. It looks like it will be tricky with that particular style mount. Need more pics.

Last edited by SDFever; 04-24-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Looks like you might want a transom mount with 90 degree fittings and run the inlet hose from the bravo up to the the side of the strainer and the outlet hose out the side and down to the inlet on the raw water pump. Don't use any hose smaller than 1" and prefferably 1-1/8". Its also a nice time to plumb in a hose bib line to the strainer so you can run the engine on a hose without that silly drive muff.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 04-26-2009, 08:27 AM
NoQuarter

Originally Posted by SDFever
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ViewSlid....1240616944037

It looks like you would be better served with mounts on the bottom of the strainer so it could "stand". I can't tell if there is a stringer under the manifold or if there is just a drop.. It looks like it will be tricky with that particular style mount. Need more pics.
Thx Fever. Really nice motor, wow. So how did you make the 90 degree bend into the motor? What tubing are you using?

Old 04-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarab22-1998
Thx Fever. Really nice motor, wow. So how did you make the 90 degree bend into the motor? What tubing are you using?
I didn't do anything fancy. Just brought the natural shape from the transom and ran it outside the exhaust instead of inside.

then, my 90 degree going to engine actually is long enough that it makes a nice slow turn straight into the seawater pump. That's a beautiful strainer you bought. I was gonna go that route but then changed.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

With my experience it is OK to mount the strainer where ever it fits best and is easily excessable (within reason). As you know just make sure you have no kinks or to tight of bends in your hose. Also as menitoned now would be the time to install a T fitting for driveway runs. The T can be reduced on the hose size down to 3/4 or even 1/2 if need be.